Ch:5 The Warning

Dedicated to xSundae for helping me out with her amazing photo-editing skills. Thank you dear. :)

Chapter 5

The Warning

Without knowing how, I knew whose blood it was.

It was Edmund’s blood.

My blood boiled and I saw red. “Who. Are. You.” I asked her slowly, trying to rein in my anger unsuccessfully.

“My name is Sarah.” She replied, with anger lacing each word just like mine.

I stared at her for a moment. At that moment I didn’t care if she was dangerous or not. I just knew that somehow she was hurting my brother and that was a reason enough for me to hate this young woman standing before me. I gritted my teeth. “I did not ask your name. I asked who you are.”

“And may I ask who are you to ask me this question. You may have been the High King Peter, the Magnificent but you are no one to ask me anything.”

On any other occasion, the fact that she knew about Narnia would have shocked me but not right now. “You are hurting my brother. That’s a reason enough.”

“You fool! That’s what you think.” She shouted back.

“Then what are you doing? Why are your fingers stained with my brother’s blood?”

“I don’t see any reason to answer you.” She snarled. My hand went to her throat just when I heard some voices in the dinning room.

Sarah looked pointedly at my hands and said, “You better get them off me or think up a story for it.” There was no fear, no nervousness in her voice even though I could break her neck in a second.

I removed my hands when I heard Dad’s voice inside.

Sarah smiled pleasantly and said, “We have been quite loud, haven’t we?”

Dad opened the door and was definitely surprised to see us.

“Peter? Sarah? What are you both doing here?” asked he.

Before I could open my mouth, Sarah looked Dad directly in the eyes. I don’t know what happened in that brief moment of eye contact but after that Dad did not ask any question. Neither did Mom or Susan. They went back to their rooms in sort of a daze.

Sarah entered the house followed by me.

She turned towards me and said with a glare, “See, it’s all your fault. If you had not messed up everything, they would be asleep in their beds too.” She nodded towards Lucy, Eustace and Jill.

“What’s going on Peter?” It was my valiant sister who asked.

I did not answer. Just pointed at Sarah’s fingers without looking at them. I had still not got my answers.

“What about her?” Jill asked.

Her words made me look at Sarah’s hands which were, much to my shock, absolutely clean.

“What? But? There was blood. On her fingers…” I couldn’t prevent the shock replacing the anger.

“Blood? Sarah, are you all right?” Jill asked worried.

“Of course she is all right.” I snapped. “It wasn’t her blood. It was Edmund’s.”

Sarah was smiling smugly though the crease of anger had not yet left her forehead.