Ch: 25 Fear, Love and Rage (Part 2)

Chapter 25

Fear, Love and Rage (Part 2)

Edmund and I had crossed our swords scores of times before, be it for a friendly duel, practice, in a tournament, or to show our prowess with a sword to a guest. But it had never been to seriously harm each other. This time however, as our swords clashed, there was no question.

This was a duel to death.

Everything Edmund and I had learned, we had done it together. As such, we knew each other's every little trick. Edmund ducked as if to attack me from right but somehow I knew he was feinting. Right on cue, he twisted and brought down his sword on my left. I hefted up my shield and blocked his blade.

Without missing a beat, he brought down his second sword on my right leg. His blade made a deep gash on my thigh but I was able to stop it before having my entire leg slashed off. I staggered for a moment on my left leg before gritting my teeth and focusing on the battle again.

For Edmund!

My own battle cry rang in my ear as I attacked the very person I had come to save. He too was ready and was able to block me as I tried to bring my sword on his considerably shorter height. He raised both his swords in a cross above his head to meet Rhindon. Taking advantage of his opening I thrust my shield forward right at his face. A sickly crunching noise told me that I had smashed at least some of his facial bones.

While retreating my sword, I was momentarily distracted as I saw Edmund's lower half of face covered with blood flowing from his nose and mouth. He staggered a few steps back and I kicked him in the shins. Whatever balance he had, he lost it and fell.

However, he immediately rolled away as I brought my sword where his chest would have been a moment ago. I felt the whoosh of a sword just as I pulled my sword out from the ground. Ducking out of the way just in time, I missed Jadis' blade by an inch. Apparently during the fight I had got too close to the witch. Luckily, I did not have to engage her. Swanwhite was immediately at my back, driving Jadis in a fight and away from me.

Good thing too. My opponent was on his feet again.

Edmund was still unsteady on his feet when I attacked again. It, however, turned out that just because he was unsteady did not mean he was not ready. He ducked and landed a bruising blow with his elbow on my chest. The breath left my body but I did bring up my shield to meet his sword the very next second.

We both took a step back and then lunged at each other again. Our thoughts must have been on the same line because we both started the same thing.

Once we had sufficiently mastered the art of swordfight, Oreius and Kanell had taught each of us a series of 'dances'. These were sets of really complex and effective sword fight techniques and moves. If the opponent was even a notch better or worse than us, he would perish or at least receive some nasty injuries. If the opponent knew the 'dance' just as well as we did, then we would be locked in that duel for as long as the moves of that dance were not exhausted.

Edmund was no doubt a contender on an equal footing with me. So, in the battle when we both started this 'dance' we knew we were in for a long while. Each and every move of this duel had been perfected individually without sword and then with sword followed by rigorous training afterwards with our teachers before we could fight each other. But once we had gone through all those steps, it became a deadly weapon; both, to be used in the battle and to make any onlooker sweat.

Over the years it had become a second nature to us. So, on the field, when quite unintentionally we started this, it took us a few moves before a trance fell off us. Our movements became instinctual to us. I had been so focused on our duel but now my movements took a life of their own. There was no conscious decision that had to be made. This meant I could concentrate on my surrounding once again.