Ch 22: Cursed

Ch 22: Cursed

Not long into the battle and I was sure someone from the enemy had a special interest in killing me. That 'someone' happened to be Valerlan, the giant prince whom I had killed during our first skirmish with the Ettin Giants after they kidnapped me.

Sadly, he was still limping the way he used to and the people from Aslan's Country (Narnians, as I had started calling them with a general term) exploited that to the fullest. Valerlan would occasionally curse and shout my name so loudly, the ground shook. I, however, had my hands full with the two Minotaurs who were trying their best to behead me with their scythe.

Dodging another slash at my head, I bent down and swiped Rhindon across one of the Minotaur's shin. Pure battle instinct made me lodge my shield up, across my back just as the second brought down his scythe on my back. The shield bore the full brunt of the attack but thankfully it held. My shield arm was hurting a lot though by this time. Meanwhile, the first one stumbled as Rhindon found a chink in the armor behind his knees. He stumbled into the other one and together they fell.

Getting back on my feet, I rained down blows after blows on them with both, the sword and the shield. Their scythe was clearly not made for fighting from the ground and instead of helping them; it made their attempts at getting up clumsier. As I stabbed my sword in the neck of the first one, the other found an opening at my side. He swiped his scythe, putting every last bit of his strength in that blow.

He would have succeeded in his attempt to break my skull into two had it not been for Caspian putting his shield in between the weapon and my head. The metal banged against the left side of my head and I tripped over the feet of the now-dead first-minotaur. Caspian made quick work of the other one before turning around and offering me his hand. He steadied me once I was on my feet. As I shook my head to clear the ringing from it, the noise of the battle came back full force. Being in a one-on-two combat, I had been wrapped up in my own cocoon and now that cocoon had broken.

Two of the enemy were dead; a few hundred thousand more to go!

"Thank you", I managed to tell Caspian before a hag was upon us.

She was easy to take down. As I swiped Rhindon left to right and beheaded her, Caspian swiped in the other direction at her feet.

"You're welcome" He even managed half-a-smile.

"How many Warriors left?" Since no enemy was approaching us presently, I decided I might as well get up to date with the battle.

"Nine from our side are still holding. They still have eleven of them. The warriors can be killed by other warriors only."

Nine only. Five of our warriors had fallen. I had a sudden urge to ask which five, but I suppressed it. It would do me no good. Instead, I focused on the latter part of the information.

"Warriors can be killed by warriors only, huh?" I asked him. "Then why are we attacked by the other soldiers?"

"Because they can still injure us." He replied keeping an eye at the bat-like creature that was eying us as if we were its next meal.