Ch: 14 'Things'

Chapter 14

'Things'

I walked slowly amidst the hustle bustle of Cair. The preparation of the battle was going on in full swing. Mum had taken to spending the day sitting in her room. Dad was torn. On one hand, he was needed in the War Councils and such, since he was a high-ranking Army officer in the shadowlands. On the other, he wanted to be with his wife who needed him more than anything else. However, Dad managed both his duties, as a father and as a husband. Sunrise to sunset, he would be available in the Council whenever needed. Sunset to sunrise, he would be inseparable from Mum. No one in the whole of this world slept even for a moment and by the Lion’s grace, we did not need to.

Once again, I found solace on the beach outside Cair Paravel. However, this time Lucy had accompanied me. We were walking on the beach outside Cair Paravel when I found Mum and Dad sitting on the sand. Mum was resting her head on Dad’s shoulders and Dad had his arm around Mum.

I looked at Lucy. She nodded and together we went and sat on either side of Mum and Dad. No words were needed. We all knew what the others were feeling. Dad was feeling useless despite giving his invaluable assistance in the preparations of the battle because he would not be involved in the direct combat when three of his children’s life was at stake.

Mum was just missing Edmund. Something, no one knew what, had triggered unease in her heart regarding Ed. Aslan had said not to pressure her into telling anything and had asked us to just be there for her. We did as we were told and this had indeed been helpful for Mum.

Lucy had, for now, buried Lucy Pevensie inside her and had become Queen Lucy, the Valiant. However, these little moments with Mummy and Daddy were when we could be just a family. A family determined to complete itself.

“How are things going on, Pete?” Mum broke the silence. Her voice sounded croaked, giving away the fact that she had been crying recently.

I could have told her about how much time we had before we began our journey to Samtal. I could have told her about the number of personnel we need more in each regiment. I could have told her of how the forging of weapons were going on. But I answered her real question. “We will get him back.”

She smiled a soft smile. “I know. I trust you.” Then, she looked at Lucy and Dad. “All of you.”

An hour before midnight, we all made our way back to our respective rooms. I sat on the windowsill of the room and stared out, not really looking at anything in particular. My mind was full of thoughts of Edmund. I could almost imagine him laughing his head off if he could see me.

“Man up, Pete.” His laughter filled voice echoed in my head. “Sitting there like a helpless, dainty damsel won’t help anyone.”

“Help her, Peter.” I was brought back from my little dream when Edmund’s voice was followed by a terrified woman’s voice. It could not have been just my imagination because I was sure that that was a voice I had never heard before.

My eyes darted across my chamber. No one.

Then, I looked out of my window. That was when I saw it. My eagle eyes enabled me to see Sarah, fighting off several people at once. I had to admit, she was a good swordsman but I could also see that she would not last long. My hand immediately gripped Rhindon which ever since Edmund’s imprisonment had not been kept out of my reach.

Since the day Edmund was taken, I had spent many an hour sitting idly on the beach. However, now, as I ran to the same beach, I was fuelled by adrenaline. The beach, which had been the place of my solace, was now a battlefield for a girl. I had to get there.