Ch 17: King's Pond (Part 2)

Chapter 17

King’s Pond (Part 2)

We all stood stock-still, none of us daring to breathe. Was that really Edmund?

I just kept staring at the pond, wide-eyed until I felt someone jab their elbow in my side. When I looked up at Sarah quizzically she whispered, “Say something.”

Nodding I stepped towards the lake a bit before speaking, “Eddie, is that you?” It was a bit strange, talking to the still water but rewarding enough when I heard my brother’s voice once again.

“Peter, how? Where are you?” Edmund now sounded panicked. I could almost imagine the tears streaming down his face.

“Edmund, we are in Narnia. We are coming to get you!” Lucy shouted at the water, coming closer to the edge like Mum and Dad. Sarah and Scarlett slowly and discreetly retreated just out of earshot.

Edmund suddenly went very quiet on the other end for a long, long while. It was frightening. There was no reply whatsoever no matter how much we coaxed him to answer. Lucy was almost in tears. “Please, Edmund, say something.”

There was no reply from Edmund. All we could hear were heavy breaths as if someone was trying to calm their sobs.

Then, out of nowhere, came the sounds of rattling chains, followed by a low, quiet voice. “King Edmund, your family is talking to you. You should answer them.”

I was taken aback by the sound of a woman’s voice. It was so similar to Sarah’s that I had to turn and look behind me and check if she was still here. Yes, there she was, standing a few yards away with Scarlett, facing away from us.

“No,” Edmund’s shaking, scared voice brought my attention back to the waters. “It is an illusion again. I know it.”

“No, my King, it is not.” The woman said in a motherly tone. “They are really talking to you, from Aslan’s country.”

“They won’t say that to me again?” Edmund asked the woman in a small voice. What is he talking about?

“Your family will never say that to you, ever.” The affirmation seemed to calm Edmund down.

He timidly asked again, “Pete, is it really you?”

“Yes, baby it’s really us.” Mum choked through her tears. I was sure it was the first time she had heard Edmund so distraught.

“How?” Edmund wondered and I smiled at hearing the pain leave his voice.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][]

That evening, I sat gazing at the pond’s water, unable to leave that place. The connection between Edmund and us had broken quite a while ago. It was one of the most heart-wrenching conversations I ever had with Edmund, his feeble attempts at humouring us making me even sadder.

I knew Sarah was standing behind me. She had been ever since everyone else left but I could not bring myself to acknowledge her. It was rude I knew that. Finally, I sighed and she took that as a sign to step forward.

“King Edmund entrusted you with a very important task, I presume.” Her statement brought an involuntary smile to my face. Of course. How could I overlook a task as important as that?

With just a sentence, Sarah had turned my attention to a happier moment of our conversation.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

“Edmund, don’t worry, son,” Dad told Edmund, “Peter, Lucy and your other friends are going there to get you. You will be back with us in no time.”