Ch:12 The Pledge

Chapter 12

The Pledge

Two days.

Two days exactly since my brother was taken away from me.

And here I was, sitting alone on the beach just outside Cair. All alone, yet not alone. Every moment that I spent in this place called heaven, I could feel Aslan closer to me. Every breath that entered or left me. Every thought that passed through my brain. Everything around me, told me that He was with me as much as he was with my brother. It comforted me but did not satisfy me. I wanted my baby brother back here. Happy and sound, with the people he loved and who loved him.

I looked at the Great Eastern Sea stretching before my eyes, the moon shinning brightly overhead. An ocean of molten and fused silver and sapphire. The waves broke gently against the sand, just touching my feet. My eyes wandered farther away towards the many islands in it. Before Edmund had been taken away, Caspian had promised to take us on another voyage of the Dawn Treader so that I could see the undiscovered extent of Narnia.

Lady Swanwhite and Lilliandil had eagerly been planning with Lucy and Jill to take everyone who has come into the new Narnia recently to see the wonders that made this Narnia better than the shadowlands. To see what makes this place heaven. This place had been like a grand long festival before we came. Feasts and dances held every night. Everyday better than the previous night. Every night better than the previous day.

All before my Eddie had been taken away. Now, there was absolutely no sound. Every creature on this land surprised and shocked at what had happened. No one had thought that problems existed here. No one had even seen Aslan after that. If everything in shadowlands happened according to His will then why couldn’t Aslan do something here, in his own land. Yet, we all rested our faith in Him and looked for guidance from Him in this time of difficulty.

A strong yet gentle breeze blew around me and with it came a summon. A summon from the Highest King, Aslan. I stood up and started walking at a brisk pace. This pace, which would have taken me to my destination, Cauldron Pool, in three months, took me there in a few breaths time.

Aslan, Golden and Majestic in His Lion form, was waiting for me there. I knelt before him, unable to keep standing before his magnificence. He placed one heavy paw on my head and all my brave facade broke. I clung to him and started crying. My grief at loosing my brother and remorse at being unable to do anything to stop it. Grief and remorse made me cry till I had no more tears to shed. Then broke through my anger and hatred. Anger at myself and hatred for Tash.

Grief, remorse, anger and hatred, each trying to overwhelm the others and me, tired me out and I sagged against Aslan. Aslan breathed upon me. As His sweet and comforting breath spread over me, something changed within me. The grief, remorse and lonliness I felt as Peter Pevensie fused with the anger, hatred and determination I felt as High King Peter. The emotions which were earlier fighting agaisnt each other now merged into one another, overpowering and smoldering each of my weaknesses and rebuilding them into a lethal weapon. I instinctly knew that this change had strengthened me; forged me into a person I did not know I could become.

“Rise, Sir Peter Wolfsbane.” Aslan voice gave me added strength and I did as I was told. “High King over all the Kings of Narnia. Supreme Commander of Narnia’s army in this battle.”

I stood there for a few moments, trying to understand what had changed. I looked at Aslan as he smiled. It was then that I realised the weight of the responsibility that I had to shoulder. I was to lead Narnia’s army against Tash and his followers.

“And I am sure you will carry out this responsibility very well.” Aslan knew my worries and doubts. “For you will be doing it for your brother.”