Ch:3 Comparisons

[A/N: The chapters I am posting at the moment have not been edited for mistakes. I will post the edited version when my editor send it back to me. Meanwhile, I hope I have not committed so many mistakes as to annoy you all. Hope you enjoy it.]

Chapter 3

Comparisons

“She looks like Jadis.”

 Ed’s word rang through my head over and over again as I sat in stunned silence. Please Aslan. Please let him be joking.

It was a vain prayer. I know Ed never joked about Jadis or talked about her for that matter. Still I couldn’t be a very good judge of his statement because I had seen White Witch only once or twice and that too a very long time ago. In Aslan’s How, her face hadn’t been clear.

“Are you sure? I mean do you remember the Witch’s face?” I asked though I already knew the answer. Of course he remembered her face. He had seen her many times – first when he was her captive and then later when he had been haunted by nightmares starring her.

Glaring at me Ed said, “I can never forget her face.”

Before I could say anything I heard a knock on the door. Ed quickly took a few deep breaths and after rubbing his face against the back of his sleeve, nodded to me.

“Come in.” I called out.

Lucy entered the room, followed by Jill and Eustace, and sat on the other bed.

“What were you both talking about? I mean whose face were you referring to?” She asked looking directly at me though her question was meant for both Ed and me.

I sighed. Edmund’s red eyes hadn’t escaped her notice. “Ed thinks Sarah looks like White Witch.”

“I don’t think. She actually does look like her.” He said angrily. Eustace opened his mouth to say something but Ed cut him off saying, “Don’t you even suggest that I am mistaken. White Witch’s face is not something I have been able to forget.”

“I think Ed may be right. I mean, we weren’t actually comparing them both. Moreover, Peter and I had seen White Witch only two-three times and Jill and Eustace had never seen her. But Ed has…” Lucy said but trailed off at the end, getting lost in her own thoughts.

“How about we all go down and you three try to compare her face?” I would know who suggested this even if I had not heard the speaker’s voice. It was of course Eustace Clarence Scrubb.

I wanted to say something to him but Jill beat me to it saying, “Scrubb, what do you think they are going to do? Go down and stare at her?!”  

“Well, if you have a better plan then please enlighten Me.” he answered back sarcastically. 

Jill was about to say something – probably rude if we foretold from her expression- but Lucy interrupted her saying, “Listen, I know Eustace’s idea is not very good but it’s the best we have got at the moment.”