World Exposition of Tomorrow

----- June 14, 1943 - New York City -----

(Y/N)'s POV

I was sitting in a room at an enlistment facility for what can only be said to be my third time. In New York City at least.

"Boy, a lot of guys getting killed over there," a guy reading the paper next to me said. I look over at him, "That ain't giving you second thoughts, is it?"

"Rogers, Steven. (L/N), Tony," we hear from our right.

The man I now know is named Steven puts down the newspaper he was reading and stands to walk over to the doctor, "Nope."  I smirk at his response and follow him in line.

The doctor in front of us pulls out a file. "Rogers," he glances up, noticing his 5'4 stature, "What'd your father die of?" Pretty standard questioning, doesn't mean the bluntness of it ain't a bit rude though.  "Mustard gas. He was in the hundred and seventh infantry. I was hoping I could be assigned--" he was cut off. "Your mother?" the doctor asks. I can't tell if the doctor's naturally this much of a dick or not. 

"She was a nurse in a TB ward. Got hit, couldn't shake it." The doctor looked down at the file once more, "Sorry, son."

"Look, just give me a chance." 

The doctor looks back up at him, "You'd be ineligible on your asthma alone." Steven, now saddened by his rejection, asks the doctor, "Is there anything you can do?" The doctor grabs a stamp to his side and says, "I'm doing it. I'm saving your life." He then proceeds to stamp the card with what is most definitely a 4F. Steven grabs the stamped card and proceeds to leave the room. I step up, a part of me knowing what he's gonna ask first. 

"(L/N), You were unable to provide us with proper identification so I have to ask. How old are you?" 

I knew it. Now I'm nearly 10, but I am much taller and look older than most kids my age. But I'm still a terrible liar, "uh.. 19?" The doctor looks at me clearly not believing me. "And how'd your parents die?" he asked. I shrugged and told him, "I have no idea. I was raised in an orphanage, I never knew them."

The doctor looks down at my file, "Sorry, kid". He grabs his stamp and stamps 4F on my card, "Your Arrhythmia by itself makes you ineligible."

I frown before grabbing the card and leaving the room.

__________

I exit the building when a black man with weird clothing runs into me, nearly knocking me down. "Hey, watch where you're going next time!" I look in the direction he was going only to find him missing. In his place I see Steven walking down the street. I decide to follow him and run up next to him, "Hey, Steven." He looks over at me while we walk, "It's just Steve. Tony, right?" I slow down, meeting his pace, "Legally, sure. But most people call me (Y/N)."

"Okay then, (Y/N).. There a reason you're following me?"

I smile at the question, "I'm not following you. I just happened to see you walking down the street and thought why not strike up a conversation."

"This wouldn't happened to be about what happened inside, would it?" He asks. 

"No. Not at all.. Well a little bit. I saw how sad you were when the doc stamped your card. So how bout we go see a movie? I'm sure It'll make you right as rain." 

He looks at me for a second, hesitating, "..Fine, but you're paying."

__________