Battle at the Triskelion

----- January 11th, 2014 - Washington D.C -----

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

Fury was looking down at a picture of Pierce. Maria Hill, who had gotten here a couple hours ago, was seated next to him. The other four were spread out across the room.

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha says out loud.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury says before opening a briefcase just next to him.

Sam asks, "What's that?" 

"Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized," Hill explains.

Fury adds on, "We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own."

Hill continues, "One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die." 

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's lef-" 

Steve forcefully interrupts him, "We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with this."

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised. You said so yourself."

"HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed..," Y/N adds.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." 

"How many paid the price before you did?," Steve asks.

"...Look, I didn't know about Barnes.."

"Even if you had, would you have told us? Or would you have compartmentalized that, too?," Steve throws at him before continuing, "SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes." 

"He's right..," Hill says.

Fury looks over at her, then turns to Natasha, then Sam.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower," Sam tells him.

Fury then looks over at Y/N. He looks like he doesn't care either way what happens to SHIELD. And he also looks.. a bit... Distracted?

Fury concedes, "Well... It looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

__________

Steve was standing just outside, on top of the dam. He needed a moment to breathe and/or think.

Eventually his mind started drifting.

Memories started to pop up.

----- October 18th, 1936 - Brooklyn, New York -----

"We looked for you, after. My folks wanted to give you a ride to the cemetery."

Steve, still short and scrawny at this point, was walking up some steps with Bucky by his side. It was the day of his mothers funeral.

"I know, I'm sorry... I just kind of wanted to be alone," Steve tells him.

"..How was it?," Bucky asks.