The Aether

----- November 12th, 2013 - London, England -----

== Third Person POV ==

In London, A restaurant is filled with people.

Jane Foster sits across from a man named Richard. It seems as though it's a date, but Jane is acting so awkward it's very hard to tell.

Jane is looking at her menu feeling awkward when Richard slides a napkin in front of her with the word 'Hi' written on it.

When she puts the menu down, Richard finally says, "Hi."

"..Hi," she replies.

"So what's the story with you?"

"Why does there have to be a story, there's no story," She says, shrugging.

"You've spent the first ten minutes of our date hiding behind a menu that has three choices on it. It's either chicken, vegetarian or fish, Jane. I think there's a story and I'm thinking the story involves a guy?"

"It's complicated."

"Is he still around?," Richard asks.

"No, he...went away."

"I've been there. The going away, it's hard. I'd been seeing a woman and uh... she took a job in New York, eventually the distance killed it. And-and the fact that she uh... she kept sleeping with other dudes."

"No!," Jane says, trying to seem interested.

"Oh, so many."

A brunette woman walks up to Jane and Richard's table, and from the way she's dressed she is definitely not a waitress.

But like an idiot, Richard asks her, "Hi. Um...could we get some wine please?"

The girl smiles, "Sure, I'd love some."

"Richard, this is Darcy," Jane tells him, Darcy mouths to Jane 'Cute' and puts a thumb up as Jane asks her, "What are you doing here?"

Darcy grabs a chair and loudly scrapes it against the floor to their table. 

She sits next to Jane and grabs a piece of bread and starts buttering it, "So, I show up to work at the lab-slash-your mom's house, fully expecting you to be moping around in your pajamas eating ice cream obsessing about you know who..."

"Ah.." Richard mutters next to them.

Darcy continues as she takes a bite of the bread, "But you're not! You're wearing lady clothes, you even showered, didn't you? You smell good."

"Is there a point to all this, cause there really has to be a point to all this," Jane tells her.

"Right. You know that scientific equipment you don't look at anymore? You might wanna start looking at it now," Darcy gives Jane a science doohickey after she pulls it from her pocket, "This is the reason we came all the way out here."

"It's malfunctioning," Jane attempts to rationalize.

"That's what I said," Darcy adds.

Jane starts hitting the thing on the table and Darcy adds once more, "That's what I did! Thought you would just do something a little more scientific."

"I'm sure it's nothing," Jane says as she hands it back to Darcy.

"Yeah," Richard agrees quietly.

"It didn't look like nothing. Kind of looks like the readings that Erik was rambling about," She turns to Richard and tells him, "Our friend Erik, kind of went banana-balls."