Return to Camp Lehigh

----- January 10th, 2014 - Washington D.C -----

Steve and Y/N casually walk down a hall in the Hospital. Steve was out of his suit and in a hoodie. Y/N looked as normal as ever.

They stop in front of the vending machine. The USB Steve had hidden in there was missing.

Natasha appears behind them in the reflection blowing a bubble.

The two of them turn, staring at her momentarily.

Then all of a sudden, Steve grabs her by the arm and drags her through into the next room. Y/N looks around in the hallway to make sure no one saw before following after.

Steve pushes Natasha's back up against the wall, "Where is it?"

"Safe."

"Gonna need better than that, Nat," Y/N tells her.

"Where did you get it?," She asks.

"Why would we tell you?," asks Steve.

But she manages to put a few things together, "Fury gave it to you.. Why?" 

"What's on it?," Y/N asks her.

"I don't know." 

"Stop lying!," Steve whisper yells.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers."

Y/N nods at that, "She's right about that."

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?," Steve continues.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." 

Steve grabs her harder, "I'm not gonna ask you again." 

"..I know who killed Fury..." 

Y/N pulls Steve back a bit and motions her to continue. Natasha straightens her jacket first.

She goes on, "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists.. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last 50 years." 

"So he's a ghost story," Steve says.

Y/N adds, "..All stories, no matter how surreal or fictional, are always a response to reality."

"Five years ago, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran. Somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out.. But the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer so he shot him straight through me," She lifts up a bit of her shirt to reveal a gunshot wound, "Soviet slug. No rifling... Bye-bye, bikinis." 

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now," Steve says to her.

Y/N just looks between the two of them. He was getting an intense sense of Deja Vu. And that was due to the fact that he had the misfortune to once again be present when Steve decides to flirt with a girl. 

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried. Like you said, he's a ghost story," Natasha says after that moment of awkward silence, pulling out the USB from her pocket.

Steve grabs it from her, "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants.."

"Who you gonna call?!," Y/N shouts with a grin.

__________

"First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk."

Y/N, Steve, and Natasha walk past a fountain in the center of the mall. Steve had gotten himself a hat, and Y/N let him borrow his glasses.

"If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off," Steve says.