Shit, Well Executed

----- January 11th, 2014 - Washington D.C -----

Sam had just gotten back from his daily jog.

He opens his fridge, breathing hard and pulls out some orange juice. He goes to drink it but is stopped by a knock at his door. He puts the orange juice down and heads towards his door.

Sam pulls up the blinds first, to see Steve, Y/N, and Natasha.

He opens the door and says to Steve, "..Hey, man."

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low," Steve tells him. 

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," Nat adds.

 "..Not everyone," Sam says before letting them in.

__________

Steve was in the bathroom washing his hands.

He looks up into the mirror to see Natasha sitting on the bed drying her hair with a towel.

"You okay?," he asks her as he steps out the bathroom.

"Yeah..." 

Seeing through her lie, Steve moves over and takes a seat next to her, "What's going on?" 

"..When I first joined SHIELD. I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but I guess I can't tell the difference anymore."

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business," Steve uses her line against her with a smile.

She chuckles dryly, "I owe you." 

"It's okay." 

"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, now you be honest with me,.. would you trust me to do it?" 

"I would now. And I'm always honest." 

"Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing," she says sarcastically. 

"Weell, guess I just like to know who I'm fighting."

Sam appears in the doorway, "I made breakfast. If you guys eat that sort of thing. You better get some before Y/N eats it all."

__________

"So, the question is, who at SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike?"

Everyone was in the kitchen now.

Steve was sitting at the table, Natasha leaning against the counter, and Sam was buttering some toast.

As for Y/N.. He was mowing down on a plate of bacon.

Just bacon.

"Pierce," Y/N says with a semi-full mouth.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world," Natasha says. 

"But he's not working alone. Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star," Steve adds.

"..So was Jasper Sitwell." 

"So, the real question is, how do the two most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?," Steve asks rhetorically.

"The answer is, you don't," Sam drops a folder with the words 'EXO-7 FALCON' on the table in front of them.

"What's this?" 

"Call it a résumé."

 Natasha pulls a photo out of it, "Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you?," she hands it to Steve, "You didn't say he was a Pararescue."