[Chapter 29]

---Hunter---

When we reached the palace, the glowing of Jade's body had almost completely faded. Her breathing became more and more irregular and I knew I was losing her.
"Get the king and queen!" I shouted to a couple of servants that we're just looking at us.
Panic sounded in my voice.
Two of them ran away in different directions, while one other led us to a small room with a bed.
"Get Kenji to a cell. I will speak with him later." I said to Ayra and one of the guards.
They both nodded, clearly seeing that arguing would just stress me out even more, and left.
They are not going to get here in time. I thought.
I grabbed her wrist and checked her pulse.
It was still there but rapidly fading.
Then the doors burst open and the queen came storming in.
"What happened?"
"Later. Please tell me that you possess Healing magic. She is all out and we are losing her."
Queen Opal just nodded and pushed me to the side, pressing her hands against Jade's body.
Then her hands and Jade's body started to glow.
Blue sparks erupted from the queen's hands and spread all over Jade.
It was mesmerizing to look at.
The door opened and King Cobalt stormed in.
He grabbed me by my windpipe and pushed me against the wall.
He was surprisingly strong.
I clawed et his hands to loosen his grip, but it was no use.
"If she dies, so do you." He shouted.
I looked him in the eyes and saw that he meant it.

"Cobalt! Let him go!"
I looked at the Queen. She was standing upright.
Then I looked at Jade.
I could see her chest rise and fall in a steady rhythm.
"She is going to live." Queen Opal said.
"It will take her a couple of weeks to recover, but she will live."
The King let go of me and I rubbed my windpipe.
Catching my breath. I looked up.
"How could you let this happen?" The king bellowed.
"To my defense, it was Jade's idea to go after them."
"It was." Ayra's voice sounded.
The King turned to her.
"Why?" That was all he said.
"Because she wants Tenibriss stopped just as much as I want. And if I had known that something could have happened, I would have never let her come. I didn't know that Cinder was this powerful. Jade bested her before in training so I just thought that she could do it again. Truth to be told, I would never, EVER, let anyone had her. I care about her more than anything in both worlds."
"You do?" The Queen asked.
"Yes." I said firmly.
"Then stay by her side as she recovers. Sadly, even we can't do that. We have land to rule and someone needs to watch over her. I rather have you do that than a servant." She said.
And so it went for three whole weeks.
We brought her to her own room, where I stayed for most of the time.
Sometimes queen Opal came in and fed some more Healing magic into Jade.
In the first week, I barely slept or eat anything.
At one point even Alexander was starting to tell me to eat something.
The second week I slept in my own room which was basically next to hers.
Then as soon as I woke up I went to hers and continued my watch over her.
In the third week, I spoke with Kenji.
At least I tried.
I had forbidden Ayra to speak with him, but every time I tried to get something out of him, he just told me that Ayra was the only one he was going to be talking to.
Then on the second to last day of the third week, Jade woke up.
I was sitting next to her bed.
She slowly opened her eyes and groaned.

I shot up and knelt down next to her.
"Hunter?" She croaked.
"I'm here." I said, grabbing her hand. She turned her head and looked me in the eyes.
"What happened?"
"You almost died Jade. Cinder blew up the shack and you got the full blast.
We got you to the palace and your mother healed you. You have been out for almost three weeks."
"I love you." She whispered.
I shook my head, confused.
"What did you say?"
"I said that I love you, you dummy."
I sighed.
It is now or never. I thought.
"I love you too Jade. More than anything. I can't tell you for how long it has been like this, but I really do love you."
She smiled. "When I fully recover, I want to show you something."
I could see that all this talking was exhausting her.
"Later, now just rest."
She slowly nodded and closed her eyes, her breathing becoming slower and more regulated.
Within a couple of seconds, she was asleep.

I opened the door and slowly closed it behind me, careful not to take her up.
I turned to the hallway and looked straight at queen Opal.
She had a huge grin on her face.
"Y-your highness. How long have you been standing there?" I stuttered.
The grin grew even bigger.
"Oh... long enough." She said.
"You heard everything, didn't you?"
She smirked. "Yes, I did. And as long as you treat her well, I approve. Though my husband will have some more trouble accepting this. But since you are the Champion of Magnus, you have a higher authority than him, so he can't just forbid you."
"I have a higher authority than the king?"
"You didn't know?" She asked. "The Champion of Magnus has the highest authority of Akeridia. Now I have other things to attend to, like inform King that our daughter is awake and in love with the Champion of Magnus. Have a good day."
I smiled and went to look for Ayra.