[Chapter 43]

---Ayra---

We had just arrived in Beacon-Town.
Still a little dazed from the intense magic from the Beacon, I had hooked my arm into Kenji's so I wouldn't fall.
"I'm hungry." I said.
Kenji gripped his stomach. "Me too. I know a place where we can take a bite."
He grabbed my hand and pulled me along.
We passed through some backstreets and ended up in front of a small house.
Kenji gave two short knocks, then four longer ones, and then a hard kick to the door.
I looked at him. "What was that for?"
"Not now." He simply said.
There was some shuffling inside and a small port in the door opened, revealing two angry eyes.
"Who is it?" a low, gruff voice said.
Kenji sighed. "It's me, Fletcher. Just open up."
The port closed again and there was some more shuffling inside before the door opened revealing a short man with a long, thick, black beard.
He was completely bald and had a crooked nose.
"What do you want?" He growled.
"I missed  you too, ya know." Kenji said.
First, the man said nothing, but then he let out a deep, rumbling laugh.
He stepped forward and gave Kenji a big hug.
"How you've grown. How are you?"
"I'm great. I would like you to meet my friend, Ayra."
The man let go of Kenji and held out his hand.
"Nice to meet you. My name is Herral Isengar. I'm the one that took care of Kenji until he could survive on his own."
"Pleasure meeting you." I said.
Herral then turned back to Kenji. 
"So why are you here? It's not like you visit me often without having to need something from me."
Kenji chuckled. "We were hungry, and I figured that you wouldn't mind seeing me again."
"Of course. Follow me." 
He led us to his living room.
It was plain and didn't have much furniture, but it still was pretty cosy.
Herral gestured us to sit down and said, "Be right back."
He disappeared into the kitchen, leaving Kenji and me alone
"So... How did you meet him. " I asked after a couple of minutes.
Kenji looked down at his feet.
"He found me at the edge of town. I was only five years old, searching for food. He took pity on me and took me in. He is also the one who learned me pickpocketing and how to use a walker key."
"He's a thief?" I half-shouted.
Kenji shook his head. "Not anymore. He now works in a small inn nearby."
"What made him stop?"
Kenji grinned. "I did. In a way. After a year or two after he had found me, he swore to never steal again and seek a job. He also forbid me to ever use the skills that he had taught me. Not that I listened."
"Oh didn't you? I specifically told you not to steal." Herral's voice then sounded from behind us.
Kenji jumped up and turned around. "I didn't mean it like that."
Herral laughed and put down the plate he was carrying.
"I know. Here's your food."
On top of the plate were two bowls of soup and a piece of bread.
We both took a bowl and started eating.
Herral sat down in front of us. 
"So where are you from?" He then asked me.
"A village, a couple of days travel from here. I'm the daughter of the village chief."
"So you're a Kane? Granddaughter of Arrogon Kane?"
I sat up a little straighter. "You know my grandfather?"
"I do. Arrogon and I were both hunters. We used to go on hunting trips together ."
Kenji and I both finished our soup and spent most of the day talking with Herral who told stories of when he was still thieving.
It was already starting to get dark when Kenji yawned.
"Tired eh? You can both stay for the night if you want." Herral offered.
"Realy? " Kenji asked. "We were planning to travel until we had reached my cabin, but if we can stay we would really appreciate it."
Herral nodded and showed us the rooms.
I thanked Herral and sank down onto the bed. 
It wasn't as comfortable as the ones in the palace, but they served their purpose.
I quickly drifted away into a deep sleep.

================================
---Hunter---

We were sitting in the carriage going to the Atlantean outpost.
It was already dark and Jade had fallen asleep, her head resting on my shoulder.
Sitting in front of me was Miranda Altum.
She was staring out of the carriage window.
Then the carriage stopped.
"Why did we stop?" I asked. 
Miranda looked at me.
"I don't know. Maybe something is blocking the road."
Then the carriage door was pulled open and a masked man pointed his sword at us.
"OUT! NOW!" He shouted.
Jade woke with a start.
"What's happening?" She asked me.
"I think we're getting robbed." I said with a faint smile.
The man took my arm and pulled me out of the carriage, holding his brittle looking, rusty sword against my throat.
"Give me your gold woman or your son dies." He said to Miranda.
I burst out in laughter.
"What's so funny kid?" The man barked.
"First of all, I find it funny that you obviously have no idea who you're messing with. And secondly, I'm not her son."
I then grabbed the man's sword arm and twisted it, forcing him to let go of the sword.
With my other hand, I caught it, turned around and pressed the sword's point against his throat.
The man looked at me in shock.
"H-how did..." He started, but I cut him off, "I'm not your ordinary kid."
I pulled back the sword and broke it over my knee.
"Next time at least take a good sword." I said, throwing away the shards.
The man looked at me, turned around and ran away.
I got back into the carriage and closed the door.
Then I knocked on the side of the carriage and we started moving again.
I looked at Jade and Miranda, the first having trouble holding in her laughter and the latter looking at me in horror.
I sighed and closed my eyes and said, "Wake me if we're there."
Then I fell asleep.