A New Beginning

Melemele Island, Alola Region

The Alola region was different from all of the other regions. Some Pokémon were same as the ones in some of the other regions, but there were a few differences to them. The customs when it comes to Pokémon and their trainers are different from how other trainers treat them in the other regions. However this region didn't have a Pokémon League like the others. Instead they had Grand trials, where they had to challenge the other four leaders of the islands. But that's what made the Alola region so special. 

At this moment, Professor Kukui was walking along the beach, enjoying the soothing sounds of the waves brushing against the sands. He loved that sound along with the view of the sun setting on the horizon. Melemele island was his home in the Alola region. He wouldn't want to move to any of the other regions. He smiled softly at the sight of the sunset.

Suddenly he heard crying. He turned to the forest and heard the sound of crying coming from it. He ran into the forest, going towards the cry. He was jumping over logs, climbing over boulders, and brushing past the tree branches. He soon arrived at the source of the crying and was shocked at what he found. The source of the crying was a baby girl. He bent down and picked up the innocent child into his arms.

"Hello little one, what are you doing all the way out here?" Kukui whispered to the child as he stood up.

The baby whimpered for a few seconds and then she opened her eyes which were a beautiful shade of ember. The girl blinked at him. Then she smiled at him and wiggled her hands out to him. He held his index finger towards her and she instantly latched her hand onto it with a tight grip. Kukui smiled softly as she giggled. He wondered why this infant was all the way out here by herself. It seemed very inhuman to leave such a helpless child all alone in the woods. 

Unexpectedly, a rooster like sound called out throughout the forest. 

Kukui looked up and his eyes widened when he saw a Pokémon that very few are able to see: Tapu Koko, Melemele island's guardian. He couldn't believe it. The Tapu Koko was standing right in front of him. But he wondered what the island guardian was doing here.

Tapu Koko hovered over to him and held its 'hand' out to the baby girl

Tapu Koko hovered over to him and held its 'hand' out to the baby girl. She stared at the hand and then grabbed it as she giggled. Tapu Koko seemed to be happy as well. Kukui couldn't help but smile at the scene. He never expected that Tapu Koko would be interested in a baby girl. Maybe the child is special in some way. Unexpectedly, Tapu Koko was gesturing Kukui and pointing at the child in his arms and then Kukui.

Kukui pondered on what Tapu Koko was gesturing and then it hit him, "You want me to raise this child?" He asked.

Tapu Koko nodded.

Kukui blinked with surprise and looked down at the child. She smiled at him as he smiled back. He looked back up and saw that Tapu Koko was gone.

========================

"So Tapu Koko wants you to raise this child?" Hala asked.

Kukui nodded, holding the child in his arms, "Yes. But I wonder why though."

Shortly after Tapu Koko had told Kukui to raise the child and left, he went to the Kahuna of Melemele Island, Hala. He told him everything that had happened when he found the baby girl. 

Hala hummed while rubbing his chin, "I'm pretty sure that Tapu Koko had a reason why he chose you."

"Perhaps so." Kukui agreed.

"So, will you raise the child?" Hala asked.

"Of course I will." Kukui looked down at the curious baby who smiled at him.

Hala hummed, "What will the child's name be?" He asked.

Kukui stared into the child's ember-colored eyes. Then he knew what to name her, "Ember." He replied, "That's what your name shall be, Ember Kukui."

"Ember huh? A very fitting name." Hala commented.

Kukui smiled, "I agree."

=======================

Unknown to the two men, Tapu Koko was watching the interaction at the window where it could easily see Kukui holding the child in his arms with fondness. It somehow knew that Kukui will be able to raise the child right. Then Tapu Koko flew off into the night.