FIVE.

chapter five
"this has to end"

      "YOU'RE A PIECE OF SHIT, JJ Maybank!"

      Lynn swung on her heels to glare angrily in JJ's direction, she rose her palms with ease to slam into the boys chest — where he backed up a foot or so. His wild blonde hair grew even more crazy as the wind from the ocean made the air crisp on the dock.

The two bickering teenagers were in town, outside the most busiest stores in the Outer Banks. Mostly just grocery shops, tourist magnets, and then the infamous ice cream shop that Rafe visited quite often — at least that's what Kie said, she couldn't recall how many times she and the Cameron's went on walks there her Kook year.

Fresh tears had stained under Lynn's eyes, and there was growing puffiness and redness underneath them already showing through. Her blonde hair was a mess, scattered in multiple directions. JJ was very similar to Lynn in the looking the part of the broken up couple.

"Oh, I'm the piece of shit?" JJ echoed out, aimlessly flying his arms in the air as the irritation could be heard easily in his voice. "You're the one with the fucking crush on the Kook!"

      "So, we go into town and just...go to town with the fighting and shit?"

      Lynn awkwardly squeezed together her brunette eyebrows in thought, certainly not liking the idea that Kiara had suggested in the first place.

      Kie had explained that if the main topic of Lynn and JJ's "break up" would be her liking a Kook — that Rafe would instantly, in his obsessively trained head, think that she had a crush on him. It would spark him to come to her, or at least begin the process of him trusting Lynn.

      She had to admit, not the worst plan they've ever had, to be honest. But when she started to overlook the sentences that Kie and Pope had scribbled out for her to add to the argument, she didn't like it one bit. Lynn never wanted to say these vile words out loud, let alone actually shout them into the beautiful face of JJ Maybank.

Flashes of the previous times Rafe had gotten too close to her for own comfort, mixed with the fact he had drugged her with possible ill intentions all those months ago made her shiver with the slightest amount of fear.

To say the least, she was nervous — felt out of her comfort zone. She considered herself a good actress, as she's demonstrated multiple times in the past, but fake breaking up with the love of her life?

Unbearable.

The only thing keeping her going right now was the thought of being able to happily flick John B's ear when he irritated her in the slightest bit, being able to jump on Sarah's back and run down the beach, to have unlimited surf competitions, and the girliest of all annoying girl talks...to just have her best friends back.