THIRTY SIX.

chapter thirty six
"i got you"

chapter thirty six"i got you"

"DO YOU REGRET IT?"

SARAH dropped her head as the question bounced throughout the air, her eyebrows had been pinched together. Lynn flashed her a sympathetic frown, tugging forward to wrap her fingertips around the blonde girl's soft hand, squeezing it warmly.

Inside the Chateau were the boys, consisting of JJ, Pope, and John B — cheers of delight and esthetic whoops could be heard for probably miles around. They had been drinking beer after beer, not that they didn't necessarily deserve to throw the unpleasant party. The girls were then outside, better on the porch, in reality.

They had dropped the tape off at the police station, with the evidence of Gavin explaining how it was Ward Cameron who murdered Sheriff Peterkin and told him to get rid of the murder weapon — but never actually ended up throwing in the ocean and kept as leverage. Shoupe directed the teenagers to go home and that he would handle it from there.

"No. He deserves all of it, and I know that," Sarah spoke softly, but even though her words were saying one thing, her expression was showing something else. Of course she'd feel this way — he's her father.

"It's not your fault, love," Lynn hummed, leaning her back against the velvety fabric that had lost its softness probably after its third owner. Her arms extended on the chair, and she rested her head as she pressed her eyelids shut — she was tired.

"He's your dad, we get it," Kiara chimed in, and Lynn was thankful for her supportive words — she never was one good at comforting others, maybe because she was never comforted in the first place. "I'm sure it sucks to be in the middle."

Before Sarah could respond in any way towards her two female best friends, the phone in her back pocket buzzed with a signal — a call's ringtone echoed throughout the air. Sarah mumbled a quiet sorry and while tapping the accept call button, made it several feet over on the other side of the porch, simply leaving Kie and Lynn by themselves.

"You alright, bae?" Kie announced through the growing silent air, mostly because Lynn still had her eyes closed in a feeble attempt at gathering a few minutes of rest that she so desperately needed.

Lynn sighed without even meaning to, but didn't bother opening her eyes. She already knew the pity-filled expression that would be scattered across Kie's face, "I'm fine."

"Only depressed people say they're fine when they're not really fine," Kie countered, and this was when Lynn finally peeled open her blue eyes again. She perked two brows in the brunettes direction, and Kie shrugged. "Just know I'll be here when you need to talk to someone."

"I already know that, Kie," Lynn retorted, and when she gazed to meet the eyes of Kie, whatever amusement sparkling dropped. Kie had unconsciously been staring at the bruises that still littered Lynn's neck a day later — sure, they were lighter than when it first occurred, they had began to shift into a mix of light purples and grey. "Sure could use your concealer."