TEN.

chapter ten
"a million years"

chapter ten"a million years"

"SO...THRIFT STORE, YEAH?"

      LYNN tried her best to flash Rafe a polite, warm smile, but it came out crooked — no real emotion could be found behind it. It was awkward, and they had only been together for thirty eight minutes but time had been moving as slow as molasses.

      They had moved way past the Figure Eight thrift store within five minutes of a quick look inside, which Lynn was thankful for because although JJ seemed to be a professional spy with all the sneaky hiding he had managed to do, they both weren't sure how much longer they could avoid the eyes of the Cameron siblings.

      Because JJ had stated he would be paying for everything in the date, Lynn hadn't brought any type of money with her, so she had to awkwardly explain that she had forgotten her wallet at home and would have to put the dress back. Rafe instantly suggested paying for the dress, insisting time upon time that Lynn said no that a seven dollar dress is the least of what he could do. After a minute, she caved.

       "Wheezie saw it on, um, TikTok," Rafe chuckled, his head hanging loose on his shoulders as his eyes flickered towards his fingertips nervously fiddling with each other on his lap. "Something about a...new trend? Honestly, she lost me after 'Rafe, I saw something on TikTok!'"

      Both Lynn and Rafe were sitting side by side on a wooden bench however -- quite a bit of space could be found in between them. They had made their way deeper into Figure Eight and farther away than the comfort and familiarity of The Cut for Lynn, she felt like an alien on Earth for the first time. Wheezie had picked out several cute mom and baggy blue jeans, with the help and expertise of Lynn, of course. She was currently in the dressing room, leaving the two utterly awkward teenagers on their own for a bit.

      "Never thought I'd live to see the day Rafe Cameron willingly walked into a thrift store," Lynn had to glue her lips together to not let any crazy snorts of laughter out, but her smirk could've easily been read.

     "Yeah, never thought I'd live to see the day Evelynn Bardot willingly shopped in Figure Eight," retorted Rafe, and Lynn glanced towards him with a wildly dramatic expression, her lips had formed into a gasp. It wasn't shock from her being on Figure Eight shopping like he had teased, it was the fact he seemed genuinely funny. "What?"

      "Nothing," Lynn shrugged, shaking her head softly as a little smirk still traced her face. "I just didn't know you could make jokes, or were funny, in general."

      "Guess there's a lot you don't know about me."

      The smile that was once written all over her expression then began to fade after that sentence — her mind floating to what she did know about Rafe. That he's a murderer, that he's the reason John B and Sarah can't come home, that he's why Sheriff Peterkin is dead. She just needed to remind her why she was here in the first place, Rafe isn't a friend.