FIFTY FIVE.

chapter fifty five
"bon voyage"

      "WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU guys?

Lynn aimlessly shrugged her shoulders as her blue eyes nervously shifted towards the ground to narrowly escape best friend's harsh glares. She wasn't going to be the one to just spill everything that just happened with her boy — wait, was he her boy?

     Things were complicated to say the least, they hadn't officially stated they were giving things another chance. Would JJ want everything to go back to how it was before? They didn't have the time to talk about it on the dock once they raced towards Kiara's stolen truck, nor on the trip back to save the twinkie — mostly because Kie was in the car and it would surely make things awkward. 

      Pope, Sarah, and John B were planted — more like stretched, all across the top of the beat-up VW van. But what drew on Lynn's attention, was the smeared blood in several area's of the metal. 

      Kie simply responded as she slammed the car door, "Paternal complications."

      "Luke was at the Chateau," JJ explained a bit sourly, and just like earlier, the boy was purposely avoiding the eyes of his friends. Lynn hated the fact he felt embarrassed about helping his father, but she kept her lips glued.

      Lynn then perked towards the van, a slender finger pointed towards what she believed to be appear as blood, "I'm sorry, did someone start their period?"

      "Oh, Lynn, you're so funny!" Pope exclaimed, but where the sentence would've implied that Lynn was in fact hilarious — the statement was full of pure sarcasm. The girl deadpanned at the brunette boy, almost tempting him. "While you were having family time with your pops, John B got bit by a gator!"

      Lynn's eyes split wide open as she murmured, "No way, you're telling me I missed that?"

      "Like, for real?" JJ questioned, and by now he had reached into the back bed of the pick-up truck to grab onto the wrench, along with some other possibly needed materials like a crowbar and a thick rope.

      Instead of diving into the water to help with the drowning twinkie, the three teenage Pogues that still remained on the grassy and muddy ground decided to stay there — frantic and suspicious eyes were darting in and around the mucky swamp-like waters.

      "Does it look like we're joking?" Sarah chimed in, she flung her hand over towards John B's wound — from afar, looked terribly disgusting, his stained jeans were ripped in several places near his calf and going all the way down his to his ankle.

      "Okay, what the hell happened?"

      "What happened?" John B exaggerated, and his tossed his arms up aimlessly into the air. It was the first time he spoke, Lynn almost thought for a second he was mute. "I got bit by a gator!"