FIFTY SIX.

chapter fifty six
"horror movie"

      "OKAY, YOU'RE TELLING ME DENMARK Tanny decided to hide the cross here?"

      Here?

      The entire scooby gang crumbled up their faces as they examined the unsturdy, creaky and old looking church that appeared to belong to Denmark Tanny all those years ago. It looked beautiful, to be frank — the painted white walls that were now nothing more than stripped. The wide windows were either cracked, shattered, or utterly covered in dust where it was hard to spot the wavering tree branches in the distance. Although there didn't seem to be much left, there would be beautiful memories hidden away in the walls.

      But there was absolutely hardly anything left in the barely-still-together church. There were a few dark wooden pews, little cotton cushions that were oddly scattered on the ground and a few on the pews as well — there were some of them that actually had some type of mold growing on them. But where the hell could you put a seven-foot-tall golden cross in here?

      "Everybody, spread out."

      John B shrugged his shoulders aimlessly, "Okay, well, if I was a cross and wanted to be hidden in an old church, where would I hide?"

      The brunette boy fumbled forward a step, but before he could completely fall straight on his ass — Lynn hooked her fingers around his forearm. The two met eye contact for a second, where John B seemed to silently thank the girl, she flashed a broad smile.

      After an affirmative nod from Lynn, John B placed a supportive hand on her shoulder as the two walked foot in foot forward. It wasn't like John B didn't need the help, more like he didn't actually want to admit his gator gash was worse than what he was fronting.

      Lynn understood not wanting to admit weakness, so the two didn't exchange a single word as she kept on assisting his walk.

      "Are you sure that Denmark hid the cross here, Pope?" JJ chimed in as the teenagers had spread out throughout the entire church. JJ lingered near the front, Sarah and Kie went to the left as Pope went to the right — John B and Lynn headed towards the front with a tall podium. "Like, are we at the right church?"

      Pope bobbed his head up and down without a single second of hesitation written on his face, "It's gonna be here somewhere, guys."

      "We believe you, Pope," Lynn replied as her pink lips formed into a supportive smile. She would've reached forward to give his hand a little squeeze as they typically liked, but with John B leaning half his weight on her, she couldn't quite move adequately.

      "What if we have to push a secret button or, like, play a certain chord," JJ questioned as his ring-littered fingers traced over a few dusty piano keys. "And then all of a sudden, the ground beneath us reveals the catacombs or something on which we stand?"