TWENTY ONE.

chapter twenty one
"SHOTGUN"

chapter twenty one"SHOTGUN"

      "WELCOME HOME, GUYS."

      AN AWKWARD smile tugged on the corners of Lynn's pink lips, trying her best to not make it appear forced. Swinging around the corner of the marsh, you could now see the Chateau coming up in view, and Lynn switched over to see John B's reaction to finally being officially home — back at the home that belonged to his father. It was hard to read his expression, though.

      After this entire time that the Pogue crew believed that Rafe Cameron was the murderer of Sheriff Peterkin, that they were wrong. Sarah explained how it was Ward, her own father, that had been responsible for the woman's death. The two blondes had no idea why John B would lie about how it was Rafe — but then it hit Lynn like a stack of bricks.

      He's getting back at Ward. John B lost his father because of Ward, and now he wants to make Ward lose something, too — so there, throwing Rafe under the boat would work out perfectly fine. His fingerprints would be on the gun and the shell-casings, Rose was already lying about Rafe being home that day, it all made so much sense now.

John B was getting his revenge.

      But Rafe was innocent?

      It truly was hard for Lynn to wrap her head around that fact, the whole reason that she was going with this whole double agent plan was for him to reveal about how he killed Sheriff Peterkin — did that mean now, it was all pointless? Rafe could still be a bad guy — hell, he was the one to originally bring the gun to the incident in the beginning.

      Lynn didn't want to bother her friends with this newfound information though, not yet, because they had just been reunited with the best friends they thought had been dead. She didn't want to ruin the moment, to be the one responsible for wiping those gigglish grins off their faces, the one to no doubt roar up an argument.

      The girl jerked back into her own reality as she felt the boat stir, noticing that they had already tied off to the old and frail wooden dock that would lead up to the Chateau. Everyone had scrambled getting off by now, Sarah being the last one to follow through, and that only left Evelynn.

      "Evie, darling," JJ cooed, extending his palm forward so that Lynn could use the support to jump off the boat, landing perfectly fine on the dock. JJ warmly smiled in his girls direction, and she tried echoing one back — but it was compulsory, distracted almost. "Eve?"

      Lynn hummed as a response, knowing that starting up a conversation about how she was feeling was undoubtably going to lead to how uncomfortable she feels about John B lying straight through his shining white teeth.

      "I'm fine, J, c'mon," Lynn directed, instantly sweeping the discussion under the rug before it could become of anything — she hooked her arm around JJ's, forcibly tugging the boy forward quite a few skips.