SIXTY TWO.

chapter sixty two
"psycho!"

      "I'LL BE RIGHT BACK, ALRIGHT, doll?"

Evelynn switched over towards Rafe as he spoke, her eyes were red-brimmed and were still continuously glossed over for the past hour. She was perched on his king-sized bed — the room which she once found so emotionless and unlivable, the walls were now even tighter than before.

Rafe, after arriving back to Tannyhill, had thrown Lynn into his room while he tried thinking of the next part of his spectacular plan. He had stuck an old key into his doorknob, she could hear the loud click — she didn't know how it would lock from both the outside and the inside, but it did. It did look rather old, perhaps that was why.

      "He's dead, isn't he?" Lynn softly murmured, her body was involuntarily shaking but she hadn't noticed the entire ride over. Her bright blue eyes were dull, covered in a certain dullness, and focused on the wooden floorboards. "How could you let him die in there?"

      "That!" Rafe suddenly shouted, making Evelynn flinch back in her skin. He flung a pointed index finger off in the direction of the front of house — where he neatly parked the transport van. "That was Limbrey, I had nothing to do with that. Don't you understand? I was protecting you, Evelynn, I always protect you."

      Those were the words of a sociopath.

      "R-Rafe," Lynn breathed out, her voice coming out so uncharacteristically quiet and uneven. "Renfield is dead. That had nothing to do with me. We could've called the cops! We could've told them that Carla was the one—"

      "—You'd turn your own aunt in?" Rafe countered, and Lynn scoffed while finally glancing up to make eye contact.

      "Don't call her my aunt," Lynn warned, but it wasn't in a threatening manner, she just didn't want to be referred to being a Limbrey. "But yes, I would've turned her in a heartbeat! She murdered Renfield!"

      Rafe launched forward to grab Lynn by her arms, both her left and right, in a tight grasp. Nothing too hard, but it also wasn't very comfortable. She tried backed away in a protective stance, but Rafe didn't allow for that.

      "Shut up, lower your fucking voice, Lynn," Rafe spat, his tone was so much different than the flirtation purring he would speak with while they were at the bonfire. Oh, how the world changes. He finally go of her arms, she clutched them defensively to her chest. "I'm getting in the shower, can you sleep? Will you just stay on my bed?"

      Lynn didn't reply, not even a mutter of a swear word as she backed away and perched her butt on the unusually soft fabric of the bed. Rafe sighed, not meaning to become so easily angered with the girl he cared most for in the entire world — but also unsure of how else to act with her.