SIXTY FIVE.

chapter sixty five
"this lifetime, or another"

chapter sixty five"this lifetime, or another"

"NO!"

JJ MAYBANK CLASPED ONTO his chest with both hands as the bullet rang throughout the air — he felt the pinching in his chest, the loss of air that was suddenly sucked out of his lungs like a vacuum. His blue eyes rapidly blinked, trying to even process the event that had just unfolded in the past thirty seconds.

The barrel of the handgun had been pointed directly at him, he swore for a half second — he was staring right into the metal. The first thing he saw was Rafe Cameron hovering a few feet in front him. He appeared to be in shock, whether it was because he didn't actually expect himself to press the trigger, or that he had been able to hit his target.

Except, when the dark eyes of Rafe trailed JJ's body, there was nothing. No blood, no torn holes from the bullet. JJ had been equally utterly and completely confused as the Kook boy, feeling his body as if he was expecting the pain to just start doubling in his body at any mere second. But it didn't, the pinching in his chest had been adrenaline, the loss of air was the beginning of a panic attack, everything was okay.

The bullet had missed JJ Maybank.

But, unfortunately, Evelynn Bardot was not so lucky.

      The blonde girl had been quicker than lightning, jumping right in front of JJ the mere moment that she saw the way Rafe's finger tightened around the trigger. It hadn't even really been a thought on her mind, more like a pure instinct. Her blue eyes widened as they met JJ's, the pain, the emotion, reality hadn't quite hit her yet.

      And then it all began to sink in.

      Lynn clasped onto her once white ribbed tank top as the agony grew in her abdomen. Her palms pressed against where the pain had first pronounced, she finally lowered her head to steal a glance at it. She peeled her shaky hand away from the already stick sensation that was glued to her skin the mere second she touched it.

      A dark crimson colored liquid scattered across her palm, it had practically been covering all of her skin. She gasped, everything felt so surreal. Was this even real? This had to be a dream right, the pain was just her imagination...right?

      Suddenly her legs felt much too weak to be able to support her body any further, they buckled. Before JJ could peel himself fully off the ground, and even before Rafe could dart forward to catch the girl, she collapsed backwards onto the mud.

      Sarah's going to kill me for ruining her favorite tank top.

      Oh, well, Rafe already has that covered.

     "No, no, Evelynn," Rafe mumbled more and more words, but they were groggled together — or, at least Lynn was already beginning to lose consciousness and the voices were fading away in a darkness. "Fuck, you weren't...you fucking got in the way."