SIXTY SIX.

chapter sixty six
"evie?"

      "LYNN, YOU HAVE TO SLOW down!"

A youthful, nine-year-old Evelynn Bardot came swarming through the tall weeds of the grass the school teachers almost always scolded her for running through — Evelynn, you might get a tick! There could be animals in there to hurt you!

But the young girl never once gave it a second though, she liked the way the tall blades of grass would allow for just the perfect amount of wind to whip through her blonde locks of hair, today they would reach just above her shoulders. A grin plastered her carefree face, her child-like eyes were full of innocence and glee.

She was always best at this — never much the schoolwork, but gym? That was where she prevailed. She would outrun every girl, and boy, for that matter, with ease. Her short legs were surprisingly good at carrying her weight faster than the rest of the children.

"Jeez, Lynn, you're faster than lightning!" A young brunette boy finally peeled from the tall grass, coming to a halt a few feet behind her. He placed his small palms on his knees as he leaned over, his words sounded breathless and full of pants. "Like the Flash."

"I win," Lynn triumphantly smiled towards her best friend, John B Routledge. They had only met a few months prior, but the child clicked with ease. "Loser."

"I'll beat you in a race one day," John B remarked, scrunching his nose up towards the blonde girl.

Both children were interrupted as a child's yell was echoed out throughout the air. Lynn's smile disappeared within a second, a more serious expression sprawled on her chubby cheeks. Her blue eyes landed on a group of children, three of them were cornering a blonde boy with wide glasses near a brick wall.

"Is that Billy again?" Lynn questioned, she didn't even bother to glance over her shoulder towards John B — she knew the answer.

Billy Woods was the school bully, having these little minions that would obey every single word he muttered. Being nine years old, he had a king-like grip on the rest of the grade. Mostly it was just because he was growing much faster than any other kid here — he was a seventy pound boy, who was already inching towards being five foot.

"Who's the kid?" Lynn asked, this time she did switch over her shoulder. John B shrugged towards the young girl, curious eyes on the group of children. "Well, we can't just stand here."

"What're you gonna do? Break Billy's nose?" John B teased, a little smirk crossed his bright pink lips. But that smile faded in a second as Lynn's feet started shifting quickly towards the boys. "That was a joke, Lynn! A joke!"