Chapter 19

You were sat at your desk when he came back, scrolling through something on the computer while you sat deep in thought.

Toshinori lingered in the doorway, unsure of what to do.

"I can feel you lingering, either come in or leave."

"S..sorry!"

He quickly entered the room, and closed the door behind him. He took a seat at the desk, noting how you shuffled slightly away from him.

Your gloves hand was tapping the desk slightly while you read the screen.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" You sighed.

You flicked your eyes to him, watching as he quickly averted his before glancing back to you then away again.

You stopped, turning to face him, you narrowed your eyes a little.

"You May have been number one hero, but you are awful at hiding things. Spit it out."

"What our?"

"Whatever it is you're debating in your head, hiding. Everyone has been acting strange recently, nice to me. So, explain."

"I don't know what you mean." He mumbled.

"Do not lie to me mr symbol of hope, it's not very heroic to lie, that's for people like me. What's going on?"

Toshinori quickly stood up and headed back to the door.

"Sorry, I just remembered... I have a thing.."

He sent to open the door, but stopped when a knife flew past his hand, embedding in the wood.

He turned around, you kicked your feet up on the desk, flipping a knife between your hands as you gestured to his chair.

"Talk."

He rose his hands and slipped back into the chair, anxiously trying to figure out something to say to you.

"It would be better if you told the truth Toshinori. I dislike liars."

"Okay, Okay." He sighed.

He explained to you that they were trying to find a way to stop you from being arrested, a way to help you and everything that they had found out.

You took all this information in and slowly lowered your feet to look at him properly.

"So you went behind my back? After what I told you?"

"I'm sorry (Y/N), it's just... well... we want to help you. You never wanted any of this so it isn't fair."

"Life isn't fair!" You growled, "you think it's fair to all those people I killed? All the families I tore apart for my own selfishness? My selfish desire to carry on living because I was too scared to die?"

"Well, no." He said, "I'm not saying that was fair, because it wasn't. I do believe however if you could change the past you wouldn't have done those things."

"If I could change the past, Nothing would change. I was alone, scared, lost. Like everyone else was, we needed a family, I knew them all my life, I didn't think Leon would ever turn out to be like this. My life was in his hands, it still is."

"We know were the viles of, we can help you. You just need to let us."

You sighed, running a hand down your face and shook your head.

"No. Toshinori don't you understand? I want this, I need this to be how it ends." You whispered.

"It doesn't have to be. Why do you want your story to end like this?"

"Because I deserve it. It has to end like this because there is no other outcome. Even if I rot in a cell all my life, I'll still die either way. Death isn't something we can escape Toshinori, that's a fact I know you're all too familiar with."

"You're right. I am, but that doesn't mean you can't change things. We can set you up ways to make amends for this, different ways. One where you can live free but still fix your wrongs."

You smiled sadly at him, shaking your head once more as you brought a gloved hand to cover his.

You didn't see fear in his eyes. You saw sadness, pleading, forgiveness.

"Please Toshinori, I want to finish this on my own terms... I can't make amends for the things I've done. Some things you can never fix, and I can't fix these things. Even if I did choose a different ending, what worth would it be? Nightmares, flashbacks, the constant regret, sadness, anger eating inside of me. I have a dark soul, tainted by so much blood, that's not a life I want to carry on with."

You pulled your hand away and wiped a tear from your face, giving a small laugh.

"Maybe in a different life we could've been friends, because you're a nice guy. Hell, even Aizawa is a nice guy. But I can't have those things in this life."

Toshinori stood up, he walked in front of you and crouched down, placing his head on the floor.

"Please let me try. Let me try save your soul, try to help you through everything. Let us stand by your side and slowly help you. If you're willing to work for retribution then I want to help you."

You stared down at the once hero before you. His body was shaking slightly, his top half rising and falling with heavy breaths.

"I believe somewhere deep down, there's part of your soul untainted. Bright and warm, you just need help finding it."