Chapter 10

I woke on Saturday morning, happy that the weekend was finally here, with my mother walking around in my room. I could tell it was her just by the way she was humming a song under her breath. I opened my eyes and saw her open my window, and then when she turned to look at me I gave her a big grin.

"Morning," I whispered, sitting up and letting the cool breeze blow against my face.

"Good morning sunshine," she said, sitting down next to me and touching my cheek. "Want some breakfast?"

"Most definitely," I laughed. "I'm starving."

The morning flew by. The rest of the afternoon passed by as well. I thought about calling Alexander, but I didn't let myself. I wanted him to be the one to call me. I sat in my bedroom for hours, in the chair next to my window, just waiting for the phone to ring. But it never did.

I went to bed when the clock struck eleven, giving up, and then I woke up the next morning to a dark and cloudy sky. I jumped out of bed and walked to my window, opening the screen, pushing it up and sticking my head outside. It was certainly going to start raining; I knew that for a fact. I heard thunder and that's when I shut it immediately.

I sat back down and stared at my feet, waiting for myself to wake up, but for some reason I couldn't. I glanced over at my alarm clock and it read 9AM. I didn't understand why I woke up so early, and then I remembered it was Sunday and a light bulb went off inside my head.

Church. Church was this morning, in a half an hour, and I oddly felt in my heart that it was time for me to start having faith in God again. I raced to my closet and pulled out a pretty light blue dress, a black leather jacket, and black high heel boots. I got dressed up and pulled my curls back into a braid, even though most of the pieces fell out.

I ran down the hall and into the kitchen, grabbing the closest paper nearest to me that I could find. I wrote my mother a note explaining where I was going and around what time I would probably be back. I also told her I needed some space, alone, so I would rather go by myself than with the rest of my family.

I quietly flew down the hallway, opened the front door, and stepped outside. It was very dark still, probably because of how gray and stormy the clouds were. I have to admit, this really got me angry. The last thing I needed was to get completely soaked from head to toe on the one day I was looking forward to praying to God for help.

I walked down the road silently and remembered the small Church that was at the very end of my street, so I took a right and headed down the sidewalk as fast as I could. It was actually pretty hard to walk fast with an inch heel on, but I wanted to look as nice as possible so I didn't let it bother me.

It took about ten full minutes of walking quietly, as at the most three cars passed by. It felt like I was in the middle of nowhere, almost like I was dreaming. Once I reached the end of the road, the church was in my sight, so I crossed the street and headed towards the beautifully built old building.

There were white statues of angels everywhere, and so many flowers it nearly looked like there was no grass at all. In the mulch there were tulips that were planted in the shape of a cross, which I thought was very pretty. It somehow inspired me being here, finally, after I stopped going for so many years. It didn't feel right though. For some reason, my heart was pounding and I was strangely nervous.

I walked up the front stone path and opened the large wooden doors, and as soon as I stepped inside I lost my breath. It was amazing, so unique and breathtaking that I was unable to breathe. It wasn't all that big, but the church music was playing quietly and many people were sitting on the benches, some on their knees, praying, while others stared up at the front where the priest was waiting, most likely getting ready for everyone to sit down.