Chapter 42

I edited this chapter on my laptop so if there's any mistakes or bad grammar then sorry 😂

And I COMPLETELY forgot to do a "bonus" in the last chapter- but I don't really think I wanna do it anymore bc like.. it won't be related to the story at all and I don't exactly know what to write... but if you guys want something like that then give me some like "info?" or something so I can know what to write about

•••

"What did you expect me to do?" Clementine scoffs as she crosses her arms, "I won't just let them talk about him like that!"

She was only 13, yet so intimidating...

"I'm not saying that what you did was wrong." Lee speaks in a stern tone - the only tone of voice that she'd ever listen to and compromise with.

Duck had been picked on at school - bullied. And after a few days of listening to her best friend get humiliated, she finally spoke up, resulting in a fight. Of course, Clementine had won the fight. But once Lee was called to "pick his daughter up," he was instantly furious.

Clementine rolls her eyes, "Then why are we having this lecture?!"

"Because you need to understand!" Lee raises his voice as well, making Clem instantly listen and not fight back. Usually she would- but Lee? No, she couldn't do that to him. She could never yell or disrespect him. He had saved her, taught her, raised her, and most importantly.. kept her safe.

Although she was 13, she was still about half Lee's size - always being known to be a short person. He puts his hands on his knees and leans forward so they were about at the same level.

"You have to understand that your actions have consequences, Clementine." Ouch, 'Clementine.' He never used her full name unless it was serious - like this. Usually it was 'sweet pea' or 'Clem,' but hearing her full name was scary.

"I understand that you were trying to help your friend- and for that, I am proud of you. But because of your actions, we have to pay the medical bills for the kid."

She looks to the side, her arms still crossed as she mumbles, "It wasn't that bad.."

"Sweet pea, you slammed his head into a locker.. 6 times."

"So? He deserved it..."

"That's not the point. You can't hurt people like that. Even if they were picking on Duck."

"But-"

"No 'but's.' You can't always help the people you love. Sometimes it's up to them to fix it, even if it was your fault."

She uncrosses her arms, rolling her eyes once again at his words.

"Remember that, Clementine. Now, go to sleep."

She wouldn't think of those words until it had actually happened to her.

Until- well- now?

Now that Louis' body was laying in her arms, lifeless? And it had been in fact, her fault. Lee was right. And his words were the only thing going through her head at this moment,