Chapter 5 - Table for Three

Jennie sat in one of those director chairs in front of a mirror while some girl powdered her face

Jennie sat in one of those director chairs in front of a mirror while some girl powdered her face. She moved a little and looked over at the makeshift stage to her right. She was about to be interviewed for the school station. Again.

It's been a week and Jennie was still waiting for Rosé to make an appointment to film her and her squad. She was getting impatient. She wanted to get this filming over with so she could put it behind her. That recruitment video would be the last publicity she'd have to do for the squad.

It had also been a week of Irene constantly bugging her about when she'd be seeing Rosé. Jennie had gotten so frustrated with Irene bugging her that she had even gone to the film department in search of the future director but could not find her. Jennie figured she was probably asleep somewhere.

She made a mental note to get Rosé's phone number the next time she saw her. Just for situations like this.

Jennie sighed and fidgeted in the makeup chair.

This would be her 16th appearance since becoming a head cheerleader. She had been booked by the show's host, Jihyo Park, to talk about the auditions for the new cheerleaders and how Jennie felt about leaving the squad.

Jennie took a deep breath.

"All done," the girl said, "Aren't' you going to miss this? All the attention and being on TV?"

"No," Jennie simply said, got up, and left.

She went over to the small refrigerator up against a far wall and grabbed a bottle of water. She suddenly felt incredibly thirsty. The last interview, she thought. Jennie wasn't sure how real celebrities actually dealt this shit. Here she was just the campus "famous" person and she could barely tolerate the whole thing.

"Jennie!"

Jennie swallowed the water in her mouth, "Hey Jihyo."

Jennie had met Jihyo during her Sophomore year when she had been booked on the campus talk show for the first time. Jihyo was just a production assistant back then but when the then host had graduated, Jihyo had managed to replace her. Jennie liked Jihyo. In small doses.

"You ready for your last TV spot?" Jihyo asked.

"You make it sound like the whole country is watching this," Jennie said, "It's only being broadcast within a 5-mile radius."

"Excuse you," Jihyo said, "But what year do you think this is? My little show is online. Anyone anywhere can watch it."

Jennie scoffed, "Yeah, I'm sure the whole world is clicking on the UCLA media site to watch this."

"You never know," Jihyo said, "OK, so you're a regular pro at this. Don't need to tell you what's going on."

"Nope," Jennie said, "Let's do this."

Jennie followed Jihyo to the stage and got ready for her last interview.

###

Rosé felt like a giant rock had been lifted off her back. She was done with her two film projects for her class. Normally she would love doing those projects but with the adoption fair, the cheer video, and her not yet written English paper also on her back, she hadn't enjoyed her film projects like she usually did.