Chapter 17 - Iron

Jennie stared at the paper with Rosé's number

Jennie stared at the paper with Rosé's number. It had been a day and she still hadn't called her. She honestly never expected to see Rosé again, but the universe seemed to have a sense of humor after all.

She picked up her phone and dialed but she didn't call Rosé, she called Kristin. There was no point in dragging that relationship for much longer. The call only lasted ten minutes and by the end of it, Jennie didn't have to think about her anymore. With Rosé back, she really didn't want the distraction of some other girl around her. She wanted to concentrate on figuring out how she felt about Rosé after all this time.

Seeing Rosé again had brought up all the feelings she thought she buried, and it made her feel like she had traveled back in time.

Her next call was one she should have made years ago.

"Hello."

"Hey. Rosé?" Jennie felt like she was sweating bullets.

"Oh, hey Jennie, what's up?" Rosé shut her laptop and spun around in her chair.

"Hey, sorry I took long in calling."

"That's OK. Honestly, I didn't think you would," Rosé admitted, "I mean, you're not really good at calling people back. Or calling me back, anyway."

When Rosé had seen Jennie at the fair, she had gotten caught up with the excitement of seeing her again. It was as if her brain blocked out all the bad memories about Jennie and just concentrated on all the good ones. Later that night, while playing with Sir Paddington, she let those bad memories in and let anger fill her.

"Listen Rosé," Jennie began, "Before anything happens, I just...I need to apologize."

"Yeah, you do." Rosé kept her voice cool and even, "You said some really mean things to me last time we talked."

"I know, and I am sorry," Jennie said, hoping her voice conveyed just how sorry she felt. "I'm sorry I ignored your calls, text, emails, smoke signals, and whatever other way you tried to contact me."

Rosé took a deep breath and leaned forward in her desk. "What is it about you Jennie? Why do you make me feel like I'm the bad guy and that I have to be the one to go after you?"

"I don't know," Jennie said softly, "Can...can we not do this over the phone? Let's have that dinner. Tomorrow? Or tonight even. Are you free?"

"I can do tonight," Rosé said.

"Great, great, OK." Jennie felt a small panic build up. "Breadstix? I bet you haven't been to one since you lived here?"

Rosé let out a small chuckle. "No, I haven't."

"Meet me there at 8? Is that OK?"

"That's fine."

"I'll see you tonight, Rosé." Jennie gripped the phone, hoping that Rosé wouldn't change her mind. Now that she had had time to process everything, she knew she had to fix this somehow. Even if only to find some sort of closure between them.