Chapter 24 - You and Me

Don't forget to sleep once in a while 💤

•••

Rosé was a little nervous and her leg wouldn't stop bouncing. She and Lisa were waiting for Tiffany in her office waiting to hear what the studio head thought about the two actresses up for the main role. It had been a few weeks now and Tiffany still couldn't make up her mind. Most of the supporting characters had already been cast and time was ticking. If they wanted this movie to make it for Oscar consideration, they needed to get started yesterday.

"Calm down." Lisa placed a hand on Rosé's knee to calm her. "Joy's going to get it. There's no way Tiffany would want Irene after seeing those screen tests."

"This movie has be perfect." Rosé was worried. "It has to be. If it's not, then we have to go back to New York and I have to leave Jennie. I can't leave her." Rosé took a breath and felt Lisa give her knee a light squeeze.

"Everything is going to be fine."

Tiffany practically stormed into her office and headed straight to her desk. "Alright ladies, let's get down to business. There are two reasons why I've been dragging my feet on this."

"What are they?" Lisa asks.

"Well, the main reason is that I'm thinking of just scraping this movie altogether."

"What?!" Both Rosé and Lisa were beyond surprised.

"I was looking at the numbers," Tiffany said, "And, hell, the execs, and I think it's cheaper to just sell this place for parts. We can actually make a profit."

"You can't do that!" Rosé got up. "You said that if we made a movie that gets this place buzz, we wouldn't have to close it down!"

"Calm yourself." Tiffany leaned back in her chair and waited for Rosé to sit down.

Lisa was next to speak. "Are you really just giving up? Letting all those people that work for you lose their job so you and the execs can save some money?"

"It's been talked about." Tiffany took a breath. "I'm gonna be honest with you two since we've worked together longer than my last marriage and because Sunny is a good friend of mine and she loves you both. The execs are split on what to do. Some want the movie, others want to sell and get out."

"What do you want?" Rosé asked.

"I want to go back to New York. Moviemaking is simpler back home. Wouldn't you two rather go back to New York?"

Rosé shook her head. "No. L.A. is my home. I want to stay here and so does Lisa." She looked to her friend for confirmation.

"I want to stay here." Lisa said.

"Like I said," Tiffany went on, "It's split. And I'm really not interested in running this studio if you manage to fix this mess. This city gives me hives."