don't be suspicious¹

tick tock tick tock

how long has jaemin been sitting there? he doesn't quite know, actually. he doesn't remember when he got here and looking at the clock for any help proved useless. he taps his foot impatiently against the floor, gripping the edges of the sit he was forced to sit on as the annoying ticking sound that belonged to the clock continued on.

then finally, a door opens, a well-dressed man with glasses stepping into the room. jaemin's eyes went right to him, his heart thumping in his chest. the annoying ticking becomes the least of his problems seeing the stern look on the man's face as he sat on at his desk, adjusting his tie before leaning forward and resting his elbows on the dark wood.

"do you mind telling me why you're in my office, mr. na?" he questioned, his eyebrows furrowed.

"because i punched bae daehyun," he retorted truthfully. that was an understatement, considering jaemin gave him a bloody nose and a new black eye. so, beat up would be a better thing to say.

"okay, why did you punch daehyun?" the man asked.

"because he was being an arsehole," jaemin said hotly. the man frown's tightened at those words.

"watch your language, mr. na," he scolded him. "let's try again. why did you punch your fellow classmate?"

"because he insulted my mum," jaemin hissed. he really had, daring to make poorly of her. her passing affected the boy greatly and anything meant to take the mickey out of her, he takes rather personal.

"ah, i understand that's a hard topic for you, jaemin, i really do," the man started, adjusting his glasses. "but that's no excuse to injure a classmate. you could've ignored it and walked away or told a teacher. i think your lesson of controlling your temper can be learned if you're suspended for a month, don't you think?"

yuta's reaction was exactly what jaemin was expecting — he was pissed when the principal told him about his much younger half-brother's suspension.

"did you really have to punch him?" yuta said, sounding extremely exasperated.

"he insulted mum," was all jaemin said in response.

"i understand that's an arsehole — " yuta got a warning look from sicheng as he quickly put two hands over shotaro's ears. he quickly corrected himseld. "— horrible thing to do, but it's no excuse to lose your temper and beat the shit out of him! i mean crap out of him, damn it!

"look, i hate that bae kid as much as you do, nana, but just try not to beat him to death, will you?" he finished. his husband, sicheng, was still glaring at him.

"alright," jaemin said, before not bothering to finish his dinner as he got up and left the table, leaving his brother and his family to watch him go up the stairs.

his mother had only ever been with two people: yuta's father, who left her and him behind to go back to japan, and jaemin's father. well, she wasn't exactly with him in a relationship per se, since he was a result of her getting drunk one day.

yuta was way older than him and pretty much took the role of a second paternal figure to his half-brother. when their mother sadly passed away, he took him in to live with his husband and adopted son.

if anything, jaemin hated his life, and the arsehole of the year, bae daehyun, made it no better with his constant bullying. there was something satisfying almost about finally punching him and getting him to stop running his mouth for once. but at what cost? him getting suspended for month while daehyun got little to nothing for bullying him.

after awhile, sicheng came with his unfinished plate of food, placing it on his desk. "if you get hungry later, eat this," he said before leaving the room. well, not before shooting his brother-in-law a sympathetic look.

the next day isn't much better whatsoever.

jaemin left his dinner from yesterday untouched, the plate of food now cold and pretty much wasted. he hardly acknowledges it and gets dressed for the day before heading downstairs. shotaro was sitting at the dinner table, wolfing down his morning cereal.

"good morning uncle jaemin!" shotaro says cheerfully. jaemin can't bring himself to not smile back at his adorable nephew, shotaro just has that power. "what are you going to do all day? since, you're, y'know, suspended."

jaemin honestly found it a bit odd to be called 'uncle' by him, since he was only in his late teens and usually the only people called uncles are full-grown adults, like his half-brother. "er — i actually don't know, taro."

"spending the whole day with me," sicheng said as he came up behind the younger to put his arm on his shoulder, nearly making jaemin jump. he moves away which just makes his arm full off his shoulder, but the adult doesn't say anything in reaction nor look offended.

"you scared the — " jaemin started, but sicheng raised his eyebrows. " — crap out of me."

"hm," sicheng purses his lips for a few moments before speaking again. "taro, hurry up and finish, your dad is almost ready to drive you to school. as for you," he turns to his brother-in-law. "we'll be going grocery shopping today, we definitely need more food in this house."

~*~

it was more boring than jaemin was expecting.

he was in charge of pushing the cart while sicheng put checked the list and grabbed everything they needed. sicheng was looking for the usual brand of toilet paper that he gets when jaemin saw someone just appear out of nowhere from thin air in front of where the milk was stored.

the teenager's eyes widened in shock at the sight. the person, who was wearing all black, simply walked off as if nothing happened. he stopped leaning against the cart and as quietly as he could, crept away from sicheng to follow after that suspicious looking being.

their hair was as black at their clothes and they appeared completely human. jaemin saw them open the fridge and take out one carton of milk before closing it with his hip. he undid the top and had a smirk on his face as he readied himself to spill it before his head snapped up, seeing jaemin watching him from nearby.

he winked. "don't tell anybody."

jaemin went pink in the face. he was very attractive, which anyone could see. but something upon his head stood out to the teenager: two small black horns that hardly poked out from his head of black hair. before the stranger could pour the milk onto the floor, someone else appeared out of nowhere, nearly making jaemin jump due to the loud 'crack' noise. he was wearing a white t-shirt and light-coloured jeans, a floating golden halo hovering over his blond hair.

he grabbed the taller by the ear, making the first stranger let out a gasp of pain. "i should've never let you out of my sight!" he said sternly, tugging on his ear and making the other flinch. it definitely looked like it hurt. "pouring milk and making people slip isn't funny, jeno!" he then turned his head and also saw jaemin just standing there, looking awestruck. "now look, he knows you're a demon."

"he knows you're an angel, renjun!" the guy named jeno shot back furiously, trying to free himself from renjun's grip, but he seemed persistent on not letting go of his poor ear.

"wait, what?" jaemin said aloud.