to heaven's reach!¹⁰

"jisung and chenle are dating."

all jaemin could mutter out was, "what?"

he had woken up from a nap to see donghyuck calling him. of course, he quickly answered to hear what his best friend had to say, and that was the first thing out of the other's mouth. understandably, jaemin was taken aback —

jisung has always expressed his weird dislike of chenle because he was top of class or whatever other dumb reason he had, but now he starts dating him? he was overly confused and it was making his last remaining brain cells work a bit too hard to make it make sense.

"i know! that's literally what i said," donghyuck said from the other end before launching into a explanation. "first, you know how jisung and chenle were partners for that science project a few weeks back?"

"no shit, we're in the same class."

"so, he was always with him and seemed to stop complaining about him for no reason," donghyuck went on. "i was relieved because it was kind of annoying to be honest. then, after the assignment is over, he's still always with him. during lunch, texting him — no, i don't look at this phone but i asked him and he told me himself — and going out with him. i was amazed because i'd never thought that would happen! it was so weird to me!

"then i go on instagram and check the most recent posts, and i follow chenle so i happen to see his newest ones and they all have something to do with going out somewhere. one was a picture of a nice looking meal from an expensive restaurant, then a smoothie, mini golf, and — "

"get to the point," jaemin huffed.

"okay, okay!" donghyuck retorted. "but notice one thing in common about all those things. then, his next few all have something to do with jisung. y'know, pictures of him and them together. i was so overly curious. so, me and chenle are cool and i decide to message him about through text and he admitted to me that they're dating now and i was like, "what?" i'd never thought that would happen! jisung really went from disliking him and then happily being in a relationship with him and he never told us anything! i feel kind of betrayed but i guess that doesn't matter, but still!"

jaemin didn't respond for a few moments. that was a lot to take in. "oh my."

"i know right!" donghyuck sighed. "anyways, i — oh, my mum's calling me. talk to you later, nana."

"same to you," jaemin said as his friend hung up on him. "jisung with a boyfriend," as he said those words aloud, it felt like he was speaking in a different language and didn't quite understand what it meant. "what a surprise."

that wasn't sarcasm.

he's only ever had one. back when he was fifteen and met his boy named kim yujun. he was a year older and always had two earrings and a smug smirk on his face. he was the one to ask jaemin out after they talked multiple times after school since he used to hang around there.

before he knew it, they were dating. he spoiled the hell out of him with gifts though jaemin never asked for them, yujun always offered to drive him home from school, always told him how special he was. at the time, jaemin was feeling rebellious and wanted to just stay out late to escape his half-brother and brother-in-law, and yujun was the answer to that.

but then one day, things got heated and jaemin didn't feel ready yet for that. soon after, yujun ended it after nearly an entirely year together. to make things worse, daehyun knew of their relationship and once they broke up, he went through one of those periods of time when he's worse than usual. he's moved on for sure, but yujun breaking up with him over that still hurt.

so yeah, that was a reason to not enjoy his life whatsoever.

~*~

renjun finally found time to take a break from constant 'how to be a king' lessons from his father that he did by himself for once. it went on for weeks with only few breaks in between before he'll go to sleep and it starts all over again. he had finally reached his room again, happily flopping onto his bed to let his legs rest —