courtyard flowers & beef wraps²⁰

"it's a lovely day to be outside, isn't it, my little moon?" dal said, pointing his silver at his son, who looked up at his father at those words.

sure, it was. tuesday always had a habit of being particularly nice in the eastern part of the kingdom, where morning moon village was located. the sun was shining as few clouds rested in the perfectly light blue sky.

"it is," jeno said, cutting the another piece off of his bun. he definitely wouldn't be eating a bun of all things — as what his parents call it — politely and king-like if he wasn't in the palace.

"i suppose taking a visit back home to xiuying's ocean would be nice, but me and your father have important visitors from the west," deoksu sighed, closing his eyes for a brief moment before opening them again. "argh, i don't want to be royal for, like, just a day. i need a break from all this."

jeno could honestly say the same thing, but for private schooling. at least in public school, he can hang out with his friends. he had renjun, sure, but they did everything separately instead of together.

lessons teaching him about the highest works of literature, learning the old language that he still can't wrap his mind around, and many other subjects. but according to teacher kwon, there was another one his father — deoksu — wanted him to finally learn since he was seventeen-years-old.

he seemed to be waiting for a few moments to say it as if it was for dramatic effect. "it's a very important thing your father wanted to wait for," he went on. "especially when it's something that may interest you when you're married."

jeno tilted his head to the side. "having kids?"

"well, kids is part of that," teacher kwon retorted.

jeno left the classroom knowing things he already pretty much already knew. not that he's gone around doing that, but the topic wasn't fresh whatsoever. he wasn't embarrassed the whole time as teach kwon explained the "basics," just even more bored.

it was just about lunch time now. jeno snuck into the kitchens to snatch a few beef wraps for himself before heading out to the courtyard. it was huge to say the least and right in the middle of the palace in one big circle.

almost every inch was full of various flowers from all around the kingdom — angel's wings, sharp-tipped blacks, dragon's fireballs, soft petals, and more jeno knew renjun could name. he was smart and knew everything and jeno found that pretty attractive.

he felt the breeze blow by, making the weather a lot less hot than it would've been with the shining sun. all the clouds from that morning decided to disappear, leaving it completely clear for the sun alone.

he made his way along the stone path cutting through the huge cluster of colourful flowers and made his way to the huge fountain in the middle of it it. it was a large, twisting stone dragon with one red jewel and a blue one for eyes, it's huge mouth wide open to show off it's long, sharp fangs.

surrounding the statue was a long stone bench, warmed by the hot sun as jeno sat down and undid the napkin that he had rolled up to hide his lunch, which was pieces of perfectly cooked beef wrapped up with a leaf of a king tree and seasoned with various spices.

before the hungry demon could eat one, someone else came to join him. looking particularly pretty today, came renjun, his white robes appearing to shine in the sunlight as he walked along the stone path, making jeno looked up at him, a beef wrap halfway to his mouth.

"did you steal those?" he asked, sounding conflicted between being disapproving or amused. "i was under the impression chef zheng said we were having stew today for lunch."