angel wings⁸

"how was school?" sicheng asked cheerfully.

jaemin didn't want to respond, especially since the end of the day was worse than he wanted it to be. thankfully, shotaro happily told his dad everything that happened that day with a big smile on his face, saving his uncle from answering himself first.

"that's great, taro," sicheng said once his son finished. "and you, nana?"

jaemin hesitated. "er — "

just then, the front door opened, yuta announcing the fact that he was home — later than usual. he was supposed to pick up shotaro from school instead of sicheng, but extra work held him back. shotaro immediately told his other dad about his day as well, saving jaemin once again.

his day at school was never brought up, leaving him to wallow in some sort of happiness since daehyun finally got detention. his bout of sadness seemed to ebb away a little — he finally got what he deserves!

~*~

rain hit against the palace windows as the sky remained a gloomy, dark grey colour. renjun would usually find joy in taking a break from listening to what his private teacher was teaching him to look outside at the kingdom below him, but today he sure didn't.

"renjun, pay attention," came his teacher's voice as she snapped her fingers. renjun's attention was immediately back on her as she pointed to the chalkboard. his father thought it was highly important that he learns the old language that used to be spoken here for whatever reason.

as if anyone still speaks it, renjun thought with a frown as he wrote down what she did with his feathered quill.

"good," his teacher praised. "now, repeat after me. u'jiyo, meaning peace and calm."

"u'jiyo."

"good job," she tapped the next word. "u'jinin. unrest, chaos."

"u'jinin," renjun repeated the best he could, immediately thinking of jeno. he was probably being taught right now as well and he felt for his private teacher since jeno had a habit of annoying all his past ones to the point of them quitting.

"now, a new sentence," she went on, pointing to the last thing written down. "wo gathot wawishi u'jiyo kan ne. i wish peace for you. say one by one. wo — "

"wo," renjun could hardly pay attention at this point. his lesson was soon over for lunch time and he would've liked to get something from the town, but the heavy rain persisted.

several servants bowed as he walked by and he politely gave a small bow back before continuing on his way to the dining room, hoping the chef had already finished up lunch. then —

"my guardian angel!"

"what the heck!" renjun nearly shrieked, immediately freeing himself from the hands on his shoulders and whipping around to see jeno with a big grin on his handsome face.

instead of sporting what they liked to call 'cool human clothes', he had on his formal black robes, his black horns sticking out amongst his head full of black hair. renjun was pretty much wearing the same thing, only white with his halo hovering above his head as usual.

"are you going to lunch as well? i'm starving!" jeno said.

"aren't you supposed to be on your side of the palace?" renjun asked with a tilt of his head. "why the... heck are you here?"

"it's funny how you avoid cursing," jeno giggled before leaning closer. "don't be afraid, sweetie. say fuck."

renjun took a step back, feeling a bit flustered from the former lack of space between them. "you didn't answer my question."

"oh, because my teacher was teaching me the old language and i got bored so i managed to slip away while he was droning on and on about how to say angel or whatever and i ended up here because i wanted to see my favourite angel," jeno retorted happily. "i don't think he knows where i went."

renjun rolled his eyes. "of course you ran off. what was i expecting? also, angel is an'ga just in case he asks later."

"you know that?"

"why wouldn't i?"

"oh, i'm impressed you ran wrap your head around it since the old language is so hard!" jeno huffed. "do you know how to say demon?"

"easy. dim'u," renjun replied matter-of-factly. "anyways, i guess if you want lunch, come on then."

it wasn't anything too special — it was basic ham sandwiches with a salad on the side and fruit juice for a drink. jeno wolfed his entire meal down hungrily, being the first one to finish.

"you know what? i feel like going to the human world again," jeno said suddenly, using a napkin to wipe any crumbs off his face.

"no, we can't," renjun said firmly. "our teachers have important lessons that we can't miss. plus, i'm not risking getting in trouble."

"i never said you had to come," jeno said with a frown. "and what important lessons exactly? most of that stuff they teach us is useless anyways."

"well, i, for one, have a flying lesson," renjun replied, returning his frown. "and i know your teacher has something planned — "

"you need flying lessons?" jeno said in surprise. "i thought you knew how to fly!"

"well, i'm not very good at it," the angel admitted begrudgingly, putting his cup once full of fruit juice down. "i get too scared when i go too high..." he never particularly liked heights. "...and i'm not very good at flying around without looking like a dying bird. so, that's important for me to learn just in case i ever need to fly."

"sure, but demons and angels both have the ability to teleport," jeno pointed out. "i bet most angels don't bother to fly anymore anyways ever since we figured that out."

"well, true, but my dad wants me to learn, so..." renjun sighed.

"well, i wish i could fly," jeno then said. "but i'm a demon and i haven't got any wings like angels."

it was impossible for him to sprout any from his back and he definitely never used to have anything since he was born a demon. he's heard of some angels in the way past who switched over and had their wings wilt away until their was permanent black scars on the upper back where their wings formerly were.

"you'd really want them?" renjun stood up before closing his eyes. then, out of nowhere, two huge white-feathered wings sprouted from his back, managing to not somehow cut through his pure white robes.

"they get in the way too much," he went on, as one of them accidentally knocked his plate onto the floor, making him back away from the table to vanish them, some feathers falling onto the floor. "i wish i didn't have them so i wouldn't need flying lessons in the first place."

"then ditch the lessons," jeno suggested, standing up as well and teleporting closer to them, once again showing off that he found out a way to silence the cracking sound. "let's have fun elsewhere."

"i know what you're thinking and i already said no," renjun retorted sternly.

jeno then put a hand around his waist, pulling the angel right up against him. "you're boring."

"well, maybe i like being — !" his sentence was never finished, since jeno teleported anyways.