little ren-ren²¹

sure enough, in the great hall, qian kun was waiting for them, his light eyes looking around the vast room. they settled on looking out the window until he hurried the two young princes greet him.

he turned around and returned their bows. "hello prince lee jeno and prince huang renjun," he stood up straight, his hands resting on his front, one of them clearly carrying a letter. "i came to request one thing from you."

"we would be honoured," renjun retorted politely and jeno thought he sounded exactly how a king ought to. "what is it?"

kun was different from the awkward and shy young angel seer they had met all that time ago up on heaven's reach.

kun lifted his hand holding the folded parchment, the name 'yangyang' clearly written on it. "i finally found time to respond when my nan isn't training me," his cheeks then went pink and his shy self returned. "can you get this to him? i know he's a human by the way," he said with a grin. "we know all truths, us seers. but anyways, make sure that gets to him."

jeno took the letter. "we can do that. please don't tell anyone that we brought a human here," he added quickly. "my dad will tear me to shreds."

"oh, i won't," kun said. "even then, me telling the truth about yangyang and jaemin won't change the future."

"really?" jeno said in surprise while renjun perfectly understood what he meant.

"then, why did the old seer say jaemin's going to stay with us?" renjun questioned eagerly.

"the future is better left untold," kun said, regaining his former confidence as he spoke the words of his grandmother.

"break the rules for once," jeno said exasperatedly but hopeful. "tell us. like, part of the future or whatever."

"i mean, i guess if i don't say it exactly," kun bit his bottom lip. "er — " he closed his eyes tightly before opening them. " — there'll be three kings by the time the current kings' reigns are over."

"wait," renjun's eyes widened as wide as the moon. "does that mean — ?"

"yes, of course it means that," kun said simply. "anyways, my grandmother is going to be mad that i left heaven's reach without a proper reason. i wish peace for the both of you, young princes," he bowed before turning on his heels and heading down the corridor, leaving renjun awestruck and jeno unusually smiley.

the young seer hadn't been lying. he saw it all too clearly — a young, dark-haired male sat upon a throne beside two others, a crown resting upon his neatly groomed head.

~*~

jaemin had spent the entire morning cooped up in his room, only coming out for breakfast and to walk shotaro to school to take something off his brother and brother-in-law's backs.

he couldn't talk to his friends since they had school to worry about, so reading books and watching movies became a chosen way to pass the time. or playing with the flowers jeno had given him. two things that reminded him of that other world.

now that he thinks about it, what was he even going to show them next? jaemin saw where the moon touches the lake, heaven's reach, and an entire palace. but what's cool about his neighbourhood?

nothing, that's what.

well, there was a park but it didn't have a lake that literally glows. then the city comes to mind, but it's too far from where he lives. plus, he hasn't seen it all and might get them lost.