hide-and-seek⁴

jaemin felt like he was forced through a really, really tight tube of some sort, loud wind sounding in his poor ears as his eyes threatened to close from the strong force. his heart was thumping loudly in his chest as he felt the warmth of the angel still holding onto his arm —

then as quickly as it came, the unwanted feeling disappeared. just like that. his feet touched sidewalk and renjun let go of his arm, letting the other stumble a little before properly balancing himself. they were in a dark alley between two brown-bricked building on either side of them in the big city. renjun turned his head to look at jaemin, who looked rather winded, giving him an apologetic look.

"i wasn't used to teleporting either at first, but after awhile, you learn to close your eyes and get used to it," he said softly. "it's literally over in a few seconds. c'mon, we have an annoying demon to find."

"alright," jaemin huffed, though he didn't want to come along. he never wanted to teleport ever, ever again. that experience was too unpleasant for any more redos.

he followed the angel out the alleyway, stepping out into the sunlight. the city sidewalks were full of people walking in either direction, some of the worst traffic jaemin's ever seen happening currently on the road. with a wary frown, he wonder how they're supposed to find jeno in the city of all places. but renjun leads the way as if he knew for sure where the other way, eventually reaching a café.

"he went here before to this... uh..." renjun started but jaemin finished for him.

"café."

"yeah, what you said," renjun continued, looking grateful. "i didn't know it was called that."

he walked towards the door and opening it for the both of them. there's a short line at the front counter and several people occupying the many available tables. jaemin, for a few moments, couldn't see jeno anywhere, until he saw someone in the way back wearing all black, holding up a coffee cup and looking rather confused yet intrigued. renjun was the first to arrive, his hands back on his hips.

"jeno," he said sternly.

it made the demon look up at him, his dark eyes bright with interest. "hey the two most prettiest people i've ever met."

jaemin's face flushed red while renjun's frown seemed to tighten, though his cheeks went pink. "flattering me isn't going to stop me from getting you in trouble. your dad clearly told you not to go to the human world — "

"you remember the things my dad tells us?" jeno retorted, looking impressed. "i checked out halfway through his lecture. anyways, you actually played hide-and-seek properly. now, give me ten seconds so i can hide again."

"i never agreed to play in the first place," renjun snapped. "as your guardian angel, i forbid you — "

he got cut off again by the demon, who just laughed. "i'll go hide in that big thing i think is called a mall. again, ten seconds!" jeno simply replied before disappearing. the loud cracking noise made several people look in their direction, making jaemin flush red again in embarrassment from the attention.

"c'mon, we've got to get to that mall place," renjun then said, his eyes shining with anger.

"oh, the city mall?" jaemin questioned after looking away from the other people in the café and the angel shrugged in response.

"why are you asking me? i don't know."

"that's the only mall i can think of," jaemin replied. the city mall was pretty damn huge, which makes it even harder to find jeno there than in the café, where he was just sitting at a table looking at a coffee cup for whatever reason. then, he realised his brother was going to be extremely worried if he doesn't show up at his house soon. fake excuses were forming in his mind as he left the café with renjun.