monday morning¹⁸

"who's that?" he pointed a finger at jaemin. his horns were much bigger than jeno's and dal's, poking up a lot out of his dark hair more than their's did.

"jeno and renjun's friend, jaemin," dal answered, looking upwards at the taller. he was already shorter than jeno but compared to deoksu, he looked tiny. "he's from little creek village."

"that far up north?" deoksu asked, his thick eyebrows furrowing.

"yep," dal said. "starry bay. i thought it was a bit too late for him to be teleporting back that far, especially when morning moon village is so much closer to moon lake."

not that i can teleport, jaemin thought.

deoksu's expression seemed to relax, though his eyebrows gave jaemin the impression that he always looked a little bit angry. "ah well, i suppose he can stay the night. get him to a guest room."

"why can't he sleep with one of us?" jeno asked his much taller father.

"do you want him to?" deoksu looked down at him. even jeno looked a little bit small compared to that tree of a person. how tall was he?

"yeah," jeno retorted back.

"not sure why you're so opposed to him staying in a guest room," deoksu narrowed his grey eyes again. jeno had no answer to that, resorting to a pout. it didn't work on his father whatsoever, the man concluding, "guest room it is then."

"jeno's not very good at convincing king lee deoksu to do what he wants," renjun whispered into jaemin's ear with a snicker. jaemin smiled back at him before realisation washed over him.

"oh no, i have to get back home," jaemin suddenly said. "my brother is going to kill me."

"you have to leave?" deoksu questioned, his eyes still narrowed as he was looking at jaemin again. jeno whirled around, frowning at him.

jaemin couldn't say he had to head to the human world, because it would ruin renjun's and jeno's lie of him leaving up in starry bay up in northern little creek village. now that he thinks of it, since they had to lie for him, he had a bad feeling that they weren't supposed to be around full humans or something.

"it's disrespectful to turn down an offer to stay at the palace," deoksu's voice was disapproving. "i thought everyone was aware of this."

"we'll get you back first thing in the morning," renjun said reassuringly, squeezing jaemin's hand. "don't worry."

jaemin tried to smile, but it failed halfway.

~*~

monday morning was finally here.

jaemin didn't want to wake up yet, since his bed was way more comfortable than usual. there was a knock at his bedroom door, but he ignored it, turning onto his side and snuggling into his fluffy pillow. no one was going to ruin his sleep —

"jaem! get up!" came a voice from the other side of the door. wait. that wasn't one of his family members. unless sicheng suddenly had a voice change to sound just like a certain demon, that wasn't his brother-in-law.

jaemin blinked away sleep, his eyes adjusting to the light coming in from the window. as he looked around his room, he eventually muttered, "wait, this isn't my room."

"jaem!" jeno called again before opening the door and poking his head inside. his hair was a lot less near than it usually was, telling the human that he had just woken up. "i brought you breakfast."