food fight¹⁴

"what?" jaemin hissed. "that's so unfair!"

"it's for the best, you know how yuta gets — " sicheng tried, but his husband spoke over him.

"i'm not going to be left in the dark because i have no idea where you had fucking gone," yuta snapped, making shotaro cover his own ears. "your friends can go away and you can get inside, where you're safe."

he turned around and gave renjun and jeno a hopeless look. he knew yuta definitely wasn't kidding.

"where did you get those?" shotaro asked curiously when they got inside, pointing to jaemin's grey robes.

"renjun and jeno bought them for me," jaemin answered truthfully.

"who are they?" his nephew asked.

"my friends," jaemin retorted, earning a glare from his half-brother. he fell silent and didn't speak again. guess he wasn't going to see the rest of their world.

"they are?" shotaro tilted his head to the side. "but i've never seen them before."

jaemin wanted to retort the obvious reason why, but yuta's glare kept his mouth shut.

~*~

yuta, surely enough, got better. he took care of his physical appearance and started eating and sleeping as normal, though he constantly felt the need to glance over at jaemin, as if his half-brother was going to disappear at any second.

"i understand his worry," sicheng said a few days after jaemin's return. "he got so worried when you didn't say where you were going, so
of course he doesn't want you going back..."

through text that same day, he found out yangyang got grounded for an entire month. jaemin was honestly surprised he, himself, wasn't grounded until he moved out the house.

shotaro, on the other hand, was curious where exactly he went and kept asking questions persistently even if jaemin was hardly responding to him.

soon enough, school rolled back around and jaemin honestly really didn't want to go. yuta insisted on driving jaemin, so sicheng had to walk shotaro to school — even he, like yuta's brother, was a bit confused but didn't protest.

yuta's car was one of those nice ones. with a job like his, it wasn't exactly a surprise that he could afford it. the outside was a shiny black and the inside was beige, every seat perfectly clean. jaemin sat in the front — which is something he always wanted to do when he was younger but whenever they went somewhere together, sicheng always had the front passenger seat.

the drive there was quiet, yuta firmly staring at the road. jaemin thought he was going to get scolded on the way to school but to his surprise, he didn't say a single word but for a low "have a good day" as his brother got out the car before heading off to work.

"why is your big brother's car so nice?" came donghyuck's voice. "mine is so old."

"it is your first car," mark pointed out.

"it's not so bad," yukhei chirped. "at least it's
not withering away and it's literally a disappointment on wheels."

"my car is a disappointment on wheels!" donghyuck shot back.

"why are you so mean to your car?" jaemin commented jokingly. "at least you can drive."

"well," donghyuck suddenly had a superior look on his face. "true."