goin' on a ride⁶

it was jaemin's friends who suggested they'd hang out as an entire group together again. everyone agreed; it felt like an excuse for his friends to see him in person after weeks of not doing so. he also hadn't been texting in the group chat as much as he used to, which probably confused them the most.

they agreed on meeting up in front of the school and walking to get something to eat together. a little after school ended and leaving a text for sicheng and yuta in the family group chat, he ran off to go meet them. it felt like he hadn't been there in years when he finally saw his school again, standing proudly before him. it was three stories and new, only having been built a few years back.

jaemin stood just behind the small brick wall enclosing the school grounds, waiting for his friends to show up. other students passed by, catching sight of him and immediately starting to talk in low whispers. with a sinking feeling in his stomach, he knew why... and the reason why he got suspended in the first place just had to show up.

bae daehyun was one of those kids who was probably never told the word 'no' in their entire life and purposely bullies whoever he doesn't like. jaemin doesn't remotely know what he did to get on daehyun's bad side. maybe he said something or did something to piss him off, but he doesn't know what. it felt like it came out of nowhere when he started making fun of him and insulting his mother whenever he got the chance.

"surprised you're showing your face around here," daehyun said with a smirk, flanked by his two goons as he ran a hand through his slick black hair. his black eye had clearly healed and so had his confidence, since he seemed pretty terrified of jaemin the day he finally punched him. "a month isn't over yet. you've still got the rest of the week."

"i was happy not to see your dumb face, actually," jaemin retorted coolly. "my eyes really needed a break."

daehyun's face turned an ugly, deep shade of red. "is that so, jaemin?"

"yes, it is," jaemin said with a nod, seeing a happy donghyuck spot him from a distance. without another word, he walked off away from the arsehole bully to walk over to his group of friends. he definitely stood out compared to them since they were all wearing the white and light blue school uniform. it was the same people he felt like he knew all this life: lee donghyuck, mark lee, wong yukhei, park jisung, and liu yangyang.

"i haven't seen you in ages!" donghyuck said dramatically before pulling jaemin into a brief hug before pulling away to cup his face in his hands. "you haven't changed a bit."

"hey, it's only been nearly an entire month, hyuck, no need to overreact," said mark from behind with them with an amused snort, making donghyuck retract his hands away. "anyways, i called your brother yesterday because you weren't responding to our texts."

those words elicited a teasing 'ooh' and giggle from yangyang that mark preferred to ignore. it was more of an inside joke that he used to fancy jaemin's older brother. 

"i fell asleep on the bench at the park for a few hours," jaemin didn't know why, but he felt like he had to lie to his friends too. plus, he didn't feel like explaining how he ended up in the city, went to the centre city mall to help an angel chase down a demon, accidentally ended up in their world, and was teleported back home. it sounded like something straight out of a movie or a really weird dream now that he thinks about it.

"how does that happen?" yukhei asked in disbelief before rubbing his back as if he had slept on a bench. "those benches are so uncomfortable to lay on."

"i was really, really tired," jaemin once again lied. "i can sleep anywhere when i'm really tired."

"oh yeah, you fell asleep on the floor once, without a blanket at that," jisung cut in before looking away, a frown on his face. "oh look who it is, the show off class president."