back home²⁹

"you're back, renjun," song said rather stiffly, unable to meet his son's eyes. renjun could easily look at him, a frown upon his face.

he found it hard to be mad at him anymore after he came back home with jeno after spending time with their human boyfriend. he understands to some extent, why he didn't want him to know about li hu. renjun just nodded and expected his father to leave, but song didn't, clearing his throat before speaking again.

"listen, son, i know you asked — "

"about my second parent?" renjun said and song's eyes rounded in surprise. "i already know. the young seer told me, father."

"oh," song simply said. "well, then... how did he even tell you?"

the young prince sighed. "i asked him and he told me."

"ah," song nodded. "well, your father, li hu, was surely something. he had a smile that could light up a room — it certainly lit up my world. he was just... him. he never thought himself all that smart nor particularly talented, but i thought he was the best. your grandmother, yang jia, wanted to me to end up marrying someone of higher status and an angel, of course, but i fell in love with him.

"he listened to everything i complained about when i saw him in secret," song went on, though his voice nor his facial expression gave away that he was thinking back fondly. "i guess i made the mistake of my ageing grandmother urging me to have an heir, because he agreed to "do it" with me, which resulted in you. i was happy to finally achieve what my dear mother wanted," he said those last three words bitterly.

"then, he admitted he wasn't even ready to be a parent nor a king, so he didn't even want to be involved in your life whatsoever," song said. renjun already knew this and felt a pang of sadness. a strong one. "so, i took you back and make sure no one told you the truth about him. just..." his hazel eyes, for once, were filled with actual emotion — sadness. "...every time i look at you, i see him. you really are hu's splitting image."

renjun took in this words, basically a repeat of what kun had told him, but it all felt different hearing from his father himself. it was so strange to see actual genuine sadness written over his usually stony face.

for the first time in years, renjun hugged song. his father, in turn, managed to actually smile, feeling comforted.

~*~

jeno did come to finally help up jaehyun for a day, the older demon immediately put in a bad mood at the sight of him, even though he said he would work for him.

currently, the demon prince was keeping an eye on jaewon since jaehyun didn't have another job for him at the moment. he figured his parents would understand that he was babysitting instead of hanging out in the palace with renjun or something. plus, his angel boyfriend had gone off to of the huge rooms that held the entire family line of both their families, and jeno definitely didn't find that interesting.

he already had gotten an entire lecture from deoksu about the major people in his family, but that was only a minor gist of it all. his family was, in blunt words, fucking huge.

"y-your mahesty!" jaewon burst out, not quite pronouncing 'majesty' correctly, but jeno couldn't really be bothered by it. he was adorable. "i drew a picture of a flower...."

jeno assumed it was supposed to be a sharp-tipped black, but it wasn't too well drawn. but all jaewon had to do was flash his dimpled smile and have his big dark brown eyes for the prince to lie, "that's great, jaewon."