𝐢𝐢𝐢. chapter one

the first table reading

✍︎︎

the first thing drew notices when walking into netflix's original studios for the script table reading, is the cherry red shine coating elle's lips.

well, to be honest, he first notices rudy talking to her.

how she laughs at some joke he said; how she bites her perfect bottom lip in that unique smile of hers; how her nose scrunches up as he teases her about something.

drew knows that he shouldn't be jealous, but he is.

"fuck," he mumbles under his breath, cursing at himself for not being the first one here.

of course, he had to practice a few lines in his mirror first because his nerves were off the chain. he's been dreaming of this moment since he was ten, he couldn't breathe normally— even if he tried.

and what's worse, she's here.
not that derrielle is bad.
it's just that, drew has it bad.

he turns his head away from the pair, ignoring them because he has to. for rudy's own good. he greets the other cast members, directors, producers, and head creators, he finally makes his way towards his seat, which is only a few chairs down from elle's.

pulling his chair, the legs scratch against the black ground, he cringes at the wake-up call echoing around the room.

elle and rudy turn their heads toward the abrupt sound.

"sorry guys," his lips turn into a flat line as his cheeks feel hot under their gaze. he sits down, his breath shaky as he pulls out a sheet of notes he put in his pocket for emergencies.

just as drew unfolds the paper, a gentle shadow appears beside him. the brightest shade of red peeks into his peripheral vision, minty breath flushing against his skin from the close proximity.

"hell of a wake-up call there, drew," elle says softly, her giggle airy as she smiles at him.

"yep," he grins back, quickly folding his note sheet closed. "that was the plan," he leans back in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest as he glances down to her pretty lips. "g'mornin' elle."

"good morning," she beams, leaning forward as her fingers snatch his note sheet. "what's this?" elle smirks, tilting her head as she holds the creased paper in between her thumb and pointer finger.

"hey!" drew calls out, trying to grab his notes back but her reflexes are too fast.

"nah uh uh," she clicks her tongue against her teeth. "i'm not going to read it, just curious to what it is."

"notes, for, uh—today," he states, a bit embarrassed.

derrielle nods, grabbing his arm and turning his hand over so that the palm is facing the ceiling.

he looks at her, his hard gaze softening as she lowers her hand into his.

"don't be nervous," elle utters, the folded sheet blocking their skin to touch as it's smushed against their palms. yet, she doesn't pull away her hand —her fingers wrapping around it instead. "you'll be great."

"that's more difficult than you might realize," drew replies, squeezing her hand back. his eyes flickering to her lips again, he couldn't help but lick his own.

"you're the actor, mister starkey," elle shakes her head at him, laughing at his answer. she pulls her hand away, blushing. she involuntarily bites her bottom lip as she swallows the heat forming on her neck as if it is survival instinct.

his sharp blue eyes falling upon his prey. his sweaty skin, shaggy hair, and shaky breath made her dirty mind fly with scenes of him in his bed. his heavy morning voice enticing her to come over— which she did.

"i'm sure mister pankow has his shit together," he mumbles, eyeing the blond from across the way. he spreads his legs a little more, drew's subconscious asserting his dominance. his right knee bumping into derrielle's legs.

"don't worry about him," she smiles while not-so-innocently patting drew's thigh. her fingers grazing dangerously underneath, almost towards his inner thigh.

elle practically felt his jealousy from the moment he entered the building. how he huffed and puffed around her and rudy; how he practically ignored them because he couldn't control himself if he didn't —he went to every person surrounding the pair, greeting them a 'good morning' until the only people left were her and rudy.

it wasn't until she had to go a greet him to show that she only ever cared about him. rudy may flirt with her, and he's good at it— she'll give him that.

but drew captivated derrielle.

plus, she can read him like her favorite book.
which makes this stage in their relationship so much fun.

✍︎︎