𝐱𝐢𝐯. chapter twelve

a pair of bonfire beauties

✍︎︎

"hey, are you free tonight?" derrielle speaks into the butt of her telephone, her finger fixing the tight material of her bikini bottom, pulling it upward, and snapping it back into place just above her hip.

"define tonight," her long-time friend malaika answers, already knowing that she's planning something with that tone of voice. "cause i got a press interview tomorrow at noon, and i gotta prepare my shit now if i'm gonna be hungover."

"sometime around nine-thirty to two in the morning?" elle squishes her phone between her shoulder and her cheeks, her voice rapidly getting higher because she knows that's really late and mal loves her sleep. 

"uh, i don't know, my bed's kinda calling me," mal says, longingly looking towards her bedroom door.

"c'mon, mal, i miss you," elle pleas, an insightful idea popping into her brain. "plus, rudy will be there."

it got quiet for a few milliseconds before malaika answers, clearing her throat, "where is this, there?"

"a nearby beach where we're filming, come on, i know you're in jacksonboro on vacation. it's forty minutes away."

"how the fuck do you know that? are you stalking me?" mal jokes into her end of the line.

"no, you told me last week," elle laughs, turning away from the mirror and tip-toeing back to her closet. her kitten, heath, named after heath ledger, sleeping peacefully on the floor, and elle didn't want to disturb her. "isn't this the last day before you go up to atlanta to prepare for falcon and the winter soldier?"

"i told you that incognito," mal scolds.

"you did," derrielle replies, picking up the phone and switching it to speaker as she settles it onto the shelf in her closet. "but this is our last night to have fun, c'mon babe, please?"

"alright fine," she sighs, grinning as she hears elle squeal in excitement. "what you are wearing?"

"a cow print bikini, a baggy, light-colored sweatshirt, and maybe some black flip-flops, what you thinkin'?" she answers back, playing with the gold chain around her neck as her eyes patrol her hoodies.

"maybe a bikini with a skirt? you sure you want to go with no pants?"

"it's hot as fuck, i'm not wearing bottoms. period," she laughs at her best friend's idiotic question. shuffling could be heard echoing through the other end as elle pulls off her white angel baby zip-up from the hanger.

"mhmm, are you sure that's the only reason?" mal asks, her voice a bit sly as if she is suspicious of elle.

"yeah, why? you think there's more to the story?" derrielle replies, pulling on her hoodie— the hem falling off just at her mid-thigh. who needs pants when your shirt is a dress?