𝐱𝐥𝐢. chapter thirty eight

the pest

✍︎

the first time derrielle met the new cast members for season two was in early october, before the south carolina heat started to dismantle into at least bearable, temperate conditions.

she walked into the main set building to replenish herself after a four-mile run through the town of charleston, not really thinking about her sweaty and disheveled appearance when carlacia noticed her from afar.

"hey, elle! you look so good!" the bustling dark-skinned beauty waved as she quickly walked over to the writer. the beaming smile almost blinding elle as she tries to look presentable in front of the beauty queen.

"oh, hi laci!" elle smiles back, quickly taking her hair out of the messy bun and fixing it into something more secure. lacy grins back, grabbing two glasses of water from the refreshment table and bringing them over to the girl. elle nods in thanks as she receives the water bottle, "what are you talking about? me? look at you, stunning. are you taking your season headshots today?"

"yes ma'am," laci chuckles at the sight of elle immediately gulping down the water. her eyes fall to the tight, sweat-infused fabric of her matching workout set, compiled of a sports bra, cropped tee, and leggings. "i can see why drew is in love with you."

"thanks, lace," derrielle blushes, pushing back a falling strand of hair behind her ear as she settles her water between her arms. "h-have you saw drew by chance? i wanted to see him."

"yeah," laci nods, looking over to where the photoshoots were taking place. her smile drops shortly as his prescence is nowhere to be found. "i swear he was just here. maybe getting his makeup done?"

"that boy doesn't need makeup," derry replies snarkily, her eyes searching the set before landing on jontavious johnson posing for a few photos, and elizabeth mitchell in her makeup chair, no one next to her.

"i know, that bastard been blessed," laci continues with the conversation, not noticing the worries slowly emerging on derrielle's face.

"who's the bastard?" nick cirillo asks with a shit-eating grin, walking up behind the two girls before picking up some cookies and fruit from the buffet table next to them.

"morning to you too, nick," derrielle smiles, shaking her head side to side at the fact he's stuffing his face with junk food instead of a hearty breakfast. "you're up early."

"i could say the same thing about you, dj," he chuckles, picking up his plate and stepping closer so that he's between them. "so," he asks, munching on a piece of pineapple, "who's the bastard? is it terry?"