𝐯𝐢. chapter four

scrambled eggs with a side of t̶o̶a̶s̶t̶ texts

✍︎︎

"first day of shooting, are you excited?!" maddie yells in drew's ear, startling the boy, making him drop some eggs on the floor.

"i was." he looks at her, eyes bright and the smile on her face beaming in excitement, then at his mushy scrambled eggs on the dirty ground.

"shit, i'm sorry, drewsky," she pats his arm, quickly grabbing some napkins on the buffet table and bending down to clean up the mess she caused.

"nah, you're good, i'm just tired from last night," he shrugs, settling down his plate and squatting down to help her.

"i couldn't sleep last night either," madelyn nods at his answer, collecting the last of the yellow mush into her napkin and chucking it into a nearby garbage can. "too much adrenaline, i guess," she stands, holding her hand out and pulling him up.

"yo!" austin calls out to the pair, both displaying cheeky grins as he makes his way over. "is this buffet table only for the camerons or what?" he jokes, dabbing drew and maddie up.

"actually, kooks only," maddie corrects him, pointing to the words imprinted on the table cloth.

"wow, they really want to create tension already," drew states, grabbing his plate again and placing another serving of scrambled eggs on it. "i wonder whose idea that was."

"it was mine," a sultry voice answers behind the trio.

drew smirks to himself, knowing exactly who that is. he swiftly turns his head over his left shoulder, "of course it is." dropping the spoon handle back to where it was, he turns around fully to see her again. "nice to see you again."

"i mean, francis ford coppola did the same thing for the greasers and the socs, why not give it a try?" derrielle pushes back a fallen strand of hair back behind her ear, "morning y'all." she greets austin and maddie with a wave.

"guys, this is"— he starts to introduce her to the others but cline interrupts him.

—"i know who she is," maddie rolls her eyes at the actor before squeezing the writer in a warm and welcoming hug. "how's it grooving, dj?"

"oh, you know, mornings," elle shrugs, pulling away from madelyn.

"yeah, you're elle, right? one of the screenwriters for the show?" austin asks, pointing at her. "i'm austin, topper thornton."

"yeah, that's me," she smiles, dimples forming.

"you must be shitting your pants," austin jokes, "like your dream is finally coming a reality?"

"yeah!" maddie yells, shaking derrielle's arms in excitement. "all that hard work is finally coming to fruition!"

"fruition? that's a big word," drew teases her, picking up his spoon and eating some eggs. "even for you."