Chapter Five- Fuck. My. Life

"Dad, I'm going!" I shouted up the stairs after I had put my shoes on, ready to leave the house. I opened the front door only to be hit by a gust of wind and rain? It never rained in California, but then again, I also wasn't the kind of person to check the weather forecast before getting ready.

I guess that explained why the night before felt cooler than usual.

I grumbled profanities under my breath as I closed the door and turned on my heel to make my way up the stairs. I prayed that he wouldn't notice me because I still had my shoes on, and I didn't want to be scolded.

Of course, today had to be the day it rained.

I felt so good this morning that I even cooked me and my dad breakfast before curling my long hair. I didn't even need to hit the snooze button when waking up, which was a change for once.

I knew that I didn't have time to get changed, so I grabbed the nearest jacket to me without thinking.

"Oh, I thought you had left?" Dad asked when I closed my bedroom door behind me. I turned around to see his head peeping out of his bedroom door, sticking up in all angles as he just got out of the shower.

"It's raining, so I needed my jacket," I explained, and before he could notice the fact I was wearing my shoes upstairs, I heard a loud honk coming from outside, indicating that Caleb had arrived.

"Now I'm actually going. Love you!" I said loudly, so he could hear my over my loud footsteps as I ran down the stairs. I picked up my bag off the floor when I reached the bottom of the stairs and opened one of the drawers in the unit beside the door to grab an umbrella.

"Love you too!" I heard his reply just as I closed the front door and done a little sprint towards my best friend's truck, trying to avoid getting too wet in the process.

I didn't notice the two boys sitting in the back of the truck until I had already gotten into the passenger seat and buckled my seatbelt.

"You took your time," Carter mumbled from the back, but I chose to ignore his comment. It was too early to be dealing with drama.

"I like your hair today, Tay." Caleb complimented, taking the attention away from his twin's comment. I smiled in return, and then he started driving away from my house and towards school.

"Yeah, you almost look like a girl." Chris remarked from behind me, but the tone of his voice was a clear indication that he was joking.

"I do try," I replied sarcastically, and no more comments were made after then. The rest of the car journey was relatively boring, but that was okay because it wasn't long. Everyone clambered out of the car once Caleb found himself a parking spot and rushed towards the school building before getting too wet.

I raised the umbrella over my head and sauntered towards the double doors, careful not to slip on the wet floor. I felt him walk beside me before he said anything and raised my umbrella a little more to protect him from the rain. He was only wearing a hoodie on his top half, and the idiot had left it down, so the rain was going in his brown hair.

I must have been in a good mood today to protect Xander from the rain.

"Nice jacket you're wearing, Smith," Carter said, walking beside me as we made our way up the school steps. I looked back at him in confusion before looking down at myself and realised that I grabbed his jacket on accident.

Oh, crap.

As soon as we walked through the blue double doors, I moved aside so that I could place the umbrella on the floor and give him back the jacket. "Shit, I didn't realise I grabbed yours." I rushed out and began pulling the sleeves down my arms, but stopped when he started chuckling at my behaviour.