Chapter Thirty Five- He Was A Closed Book

A/N: Hi, I've started getting into writing again. When I started this book my mindset was completely different and now that I'm editing the original draft I'm finding myself change up the chapters a lot more than I originally anticipated. Hence, why my updates are kind of slow, but I've written a few more ahead of schedule so there should be more updates coming soon. Thanks for sticking around :)

"I mean, what are you supposed to get for a guy that already has everything he wants?" I asked after Cass suggested another gift idea for Xander. So far everything we had thought of either wasn't something he would be into, or he already had it.

It was his and Caleb's birthday in less than a week and I had yet to sort out his gift. Well, that's a lie. I had chipped in a little bit for his gift from Chris and Jake, but I wanted to do something more.

"I don't get it. You've already helped out with a gift, why do you need to do something else?"

"Because I've done an extra something for Caleb. It feels wrong not doing the same for Xander." I closed my laptop shut and placed it on the coffee table before curling my legs under me as we faced each other.

My dad was on another business trip in a different state, so I was all alone. Cass had been stopping with me for the past few nights so the house wouldn't feel so empty.

"This never bothered you in previous years." She stated, knowing full well that I never bothered with Xander's birthday before. The last time I even bought him a card was the year before we started high school, and even then it was because my dad made me give him one.

"Things are different now."

She snorted and reached for the open bottle of rose wine that was left on the table. We may have opened a bottle during our discussion of birthday gifts. "Yeah, because now instead of wanting to kill him every time you see each other, you want to kiss him. They always say that there's a fine line between love and hate." She chirped as she poured herself another glass of wine.

I felt my face deepen into a scowl at her words. "I do not love Xander."

"Maybe not yet," she leaned across the coffee table to hand me the bottle so I could top up my own glass. "But when those three words do come out of your mouth and are aimed at the tall, dark and handsome twin I'll be here to say I told you so."

Before I could even formulate a response to what she was saying, the sound of a doorbell ringing resonated around the house.

"Speaking of which, I bet that's the guys now," Cass announced, standing up from the couch with her wine glass in hand and she walked across the room to open the door. She looked right at home in her bunny print pyjamas and slippers while holding her glass of wine.

I didn't look much different in my pink satin shorts and a matching top that had 'princess' written across my chest. I discarded my Lilo and stitch slippers as soon as I sat down on one of the couches.

"I thought you weren't coming until 9?" I asked after I noticed they were over an hour early from the time on my phone.

Caleb was the first one in, carrying a bunch of blankets under one arm and a crate of beer in his other. "I sent you a message to say we're coming a little earlier." He answered and placed the beer on the table beside my laptop. Unlocking my phone, I realised he had in fact sent me a text around 30 minutes ago saying that they were heading over soon.

I guess I was too focused on looking for a birthday gift I hadn't noticed my phone received any notifications.

The others flocked into the room after another, all carrying something in their hands for this sleepover we had planned. Chris carried the snacks while Jake came prepared with pillows.