20 | one of us is lying

one of us is lying
by karen m. mcmanus

completed : 21 september 2021rating : 🌟🌟🌟⭐️ | 🌶🌶 | 💧 chapter 22tw⚠️ : ableism, bullying, character death, cheating, drug use, drug addiction, emotional abuse, forced outing, homophobia, language, mental illness, murder, partner abuse, sexual...

rating : 🌟🌟🌟⭐️ | 🌶🌶 | 💧 chapter 22
tw⚠️ : ableism, bullying, character death, cheating, drug use, drug addiction, emotional abuse, forced outing, homophobia, language, mental illness, murder, partner abuse, sexual themes, suicide, underage drinking

chapters : 31
age group : young adult
genre : mystery

representation : poc, lgbt, mental health

summary :
one of us is lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide.

notes :
i wanted to read this before the tv series comes out (7 october 2021) and i actually got the book for a pretty good deal so i'm happy.

this is definitely gossip girl meets pretty little liars meets the breakfast club meets murder.

i listened to the audiobook as well and let me tell you that the narrators put their whole bussy into it. would definitely recommend :)

almost a 4 star read but i was expecting more. am i still going to read the sequel? yes.

so nate is obviously my fav character and i really like maeve too. i do not want to give a lot away but pls don't spoil the book for yourself and read my opinions below.

opinions with 🚨spoilers🚨 :

what i liked
•murder mystery
•addy's character development
•bronwyn and nate's relationship
•the multiple povs

what i didn't like
•some things said were so cliché, i cringed like what in the wattpad is this?
"i wouldn't get on that deathtrap if you paid me"
"do you say that to all the girls you bring here?"
and towards the end where nate is like i'll never be good enough for you *rolls eyes*

•all the slut-shaming and stereotypes

•sexuality + mental illness portrayal
so cooper being outed is the big plot twist and
the queer character was cheating on keely?
depression is the murderer? my problem is that simon's wacko behaviour was blamed on his mental illness

•the "plot twist"
i mean you could tell from the start it wasn't any of the 4 just from reading their reactions and povs.
as soon as i got to the part where they discover simon's violent loving alter ego online and with everything he said, my suspicions were confirmed.
wouldn't it have been a bigger plot twist if it was actually one of the bayview four?

quotes :
❝ you're all walking teen-movie stereotypes ❞

❝ things'll get worse before they get better ❞

❝ bronwyn rojas, i solemnly swear not to murder you today or at any point in the future. deal?"
"you're ridiculous," she mutters, going even redder.
"it concerns me you're avoiding a promise not to murder me ❞

❝ you losers seriously give a crap about this? get a life ❞

okay that's it!