34 | the shadows between us

the shadows between us
by tricia levenseller

completed : 30 november 2021rating : 🌟🌟🌟

rating : 🌟🌟🌟.5 | 🌶🌶.5
tw⚠️ : assault, death, murder, death of family members, physical violence, slut shaming

chapters : 30
age group : young adult
genre : fantasy

representation : lgbt

summary :
alessandra is tired of being overlooked, but she has a plan to gain power:

1) woo the shadow king.
2) marry him.
3) kill him and take his kingdom for herself.

no one knows the extent of the freshly crowned shadow king's power. some say he can command the shadows that swirl around him to do his bidding. others say they speak to him, whispering the thoughts of his enemies. regardless, alessandra knows what she deserves, and she's going to do everything within her power to get it.

but alessandra's not the only one trying to kill the king. as attempts on his life are made, she finds herself trying to keep him alive long enough for him to make her his queen—all while struggling not to lose her heart. after all, who better for a shadow king than a cunning, villainous queen?

notes :
i mean just look at the first line in the book...

"they've never found the body of the first and only boy who broke my heart. and they never will"

alessandra is your typical ambitious, power driven, selfish character. which is different compared to your normal goody protagonist. i like that she advocates for women to do what they want with their bodies without shame.

i expected more from kallias. i mean he is the freaking shadow king.

and i wanted more from the book.

quotes :
❝ all the time in the world is worth nothing if i don't get to spend it with you ❞

❝ a woman is not defined by what she does or doesn't do in the bedroom ❞

❝ i hate him. but i love him more ❞

okay that's it!