24 | the unhoneymooners

the unhoneymooners
by christina lauren

completed : 11 october 2021rating : 🌟🌟🌟🌟 | 🌶🌶tw⚠️ : alcohol, cheating, internalized fatphobia, assumed fatphobia, sex (fade to black), lying to an employer, and loss of employment

rating : 🌟🌟🌟🌟 | 🌶🌶
tw⚠️ : alcohol, cheating, internalized fatphobia, assumed fatphobia, sex (fade to black), lying to an employer, and loss of employment

chapters : 21
age group : new adult, adult
genre : contemporary romance, humor

representation : fat main character, poc, lgbt

summary :
olive is always unlucky: in her career, in love, in...well, everything. her identical twin sister ami, on the other hand, is probably the luckiest person in the world. her meet-cute with her fiancé is something out of a romantic comedy (gag) and she's managed to finance her entire wedding by winning a series of internet contests (double gag). worst of all, she's forcing olive to spend the day with her sworn enemy, ethan, who just happens to be the best man.

olive braces herself to get through 24 hours of wedding hell before she can return to her comfortable, unlucky life. but when the entire wedding party gets food poisoning from eating bad shellfish, the only people who aren't affected are olive and ethan. and now there's an all-expenses-paid honeymoon in hawaii up for grabs.

putting their mutual hatred aside for the sake of a free vacation, olive and ethan head for paradise, determined to avoid each other at all costs. but when olive runs into her future boss, the little white lie she tells him is suddenly at risk to become a whole lot bigger. she and ethan now have to pretend to be loving newlyweds, and her luck seems worse than ever. but the weird thing is that she doesn't mind playing pretend. in fact, she feels kind of... lucky.

notes :
worth the hype!

once again, i read it having no idea what's it about.

this book had me giggling people! i mean just look at the tropes-
fake dating
enemies to lovers
one bed

olive is so relatable sometimes. i liked ethan up until towards the end... then i didn't. i loved the back and forth banter between them. i'm not going to say much because i feel like i would just be spitting out spoilers.

when i read it, it felt like i was watching a rom-com. like a whole ass movie was playing in my mind. well it's always like that, but this time it felt like it was an actual movie not a book. ugh, now i can't even explain myself properly.

anyways it was very funny and cute but it felt like something was missing... or maybe i just wasn't satisfied with the ending idk.

quotes :
❝ love is exhausting ❞

❝ i can appreciate my body in a bikini and still want to set fire to the patriarchy ❞

❝ knew he was a book lover, but to be the same kind of book lover i am? it makes my insides melt ❞

❝ i am a homebody, through and through, and there's nothing like being home ❞

okay that's it!