Too Late (Finale Pt. 1.5)

A/N: Hello everyone! So, this is the first half of the final chapter. I wanted to make this a whole chapter since it's already split, but this is already long enough as is. So, there will be a part 3 to this finale. This one is labeled as 1.5 as it is an interlude of John's thoughts on what happened during that time frame. This chapter does get quite dark as it covers what also happened the day Sera and Arlo found him and I've added a trigger warning for when the actual event comes up. But if you do not feel comfortable reading this chapter, then please, skip past.

As usual, I hope you guys enjoy!

-KittCat

*WARNING*: This chapter contains mentions of depression and mental health issues, mentions of suicide, self harm, and attempt. Viewer discretion is advised please! And if you or anyone else is feeling depressed, please seek out proper help.

He was so tired...

Dammit he was just so tired of it all...

It hurt just going through the motions anymore...

It hurt to wake up, walk into school, have everyone stare and whisper thinking he can't hear, have the others dote on him with pitiful stares as if he was just some broken and discarded toy, and then go back to the dorms with absolutely nothing to distract him from the fact that this was his new reality.

The reality that his dad was gone.

Dead.

The one man who had loved him despite all of the horrible things he's done, despite all of the pain and regret he had put the man through, was dead.

He had no one else to blame but himself.

Had he just thought things through for once, had he not been so petty or malicious or vindictive, maybe his dad would still be alive and well.

The man never would've had to deal with his stupid choices, never would've made that stupid book to try and help him through the problems he had made for himself, never would've gotten caught up with the authorities or with any agenda they had and most of all, he never would've died if it hadn't been for him...

William was dead.

And it was his fault.

His first day in the hospital after what had happened was nothing but a lucid nightmare that he thought he would wake up from.

Doctors had told him about why he was here, about what had happened.

But still, his tired mind refused to believe it.

'Any moment,' he thought. 'he'll come through the door to check up on me.'

For hours it was like that. Waiting and waiting and waiting while keeping his eyes pinned to the door, expecting the raven haired man to step through, a sad but relieved smile painted on his face and grey eyes warm with relief.

But he never came...

The only person in and out of that room the whole time had been the doctor, a brisk, blunt spoken man in his later years.

John would stare at him with confusion, asking him where his father was.

He was only met with a huff followed by '"You already know kid."'

No.

He didn't know.

Because all he knew was that William was alive.